Spring 2024 Networking Career Fair sees increase in non-profit opportunities

A glass door to an office that says "Center for Career Development."
Center for Career Development.
Rohit Narayanan / The Daily Princetonian

On Friday, Feb. 23, 99 employers from 17 U.S. states and two countries are scheduled to attend the Spring 2024 Networking Career Fair. Students will have the opportunity to network with representatives from employers such as the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI), MongoDB, and McKinsey & Company.

This fair is one of six that occur during the academic year. The All Ivy Environmental and Sustainability Career Fair is also occurring this Friday at Columbia University, in partnership with all other Ivy League schools.

Employers will be meeting with students in Dillon Gym from 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Similar to previous years, there are many Princeton affiliated employers and New Jersey state departments at the fair this spring. Employers are seeking students of all years for internships and post-college jobs.

The industry most represented in this career fair is “Non-Profit - Other” with 10 employers. In the fall, the most represented industry was “Investment / Portfolio Management” with 16 employers, while “Non-Profit - Other” had 11 employers. In an email to the ‘Prince,’ Krystyn Kitto, the Senior Associate Director of Employer Engagement at the Center for Career Development, noted the difference between industry and job function, and encouraged students to view employers on Handshake to understand what type of roles they may be looking for.

“For example, New Jersey Transit is a government-owned organization that is hiring cybersecurity, marketing/communications, legal roles and more,” wrote Kitto. “So we encourage students to review the employers and their listings in Handshake to get a complete picture of the wide range of roles these employers are interested in speaking with Princeton students about.”

A dataset provided by the Center for Career Development split companies up into larger sectors. For the first time in the past three career fairs, the “Business, Finance” sector did not make up the majority of employers at the career fair, with most employers this year falling in the “Engineering, Health, Science & Technology” sector.

Similar to previous years, a majority of the employers attending are headquartered in New York and New Jersey. This spring, 38 employers are headquartered in New Jersey and 27 are headquartered in New York. 17 employers are located within the town of Princeton or on University grounds.

The Center for Career Development is also hosting a First Timer Career Fair Tour the morning of the Career fair from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. According to Handshake, students will “learn how to navigate career fairs with confidence and how to approach employers.” Advisers from the Center for Career Development will also be in attendance at the event to help guide students based on their goals.

“For the spring fair, many organizations will be seeking candidates for upcoming internship and job openings, while others will be looking to meet with students to talk about their organization and how they recruit students,” Kitto wrote. “It's a low-pressure way for students to learn about different opportunities and make connections.” 

Mary Ma is Creative Director and staff data reporter for the ‘Prince.’

Head data editor Andrew Bosworth contributed reporting.

Please send corrections to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.