USG gives campus pub updates, projects board funding in meeting

Student government members sitting in meeting room.
Undergraduate Student Government's meeting on October 1.
Nandini Krishnan / The Daily Princetonian

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) met on Sunday, Oct. 1 to discuss various ongoing projects, allocate projects board funding, and vote for Executive Committee Representatives for the Council of the Princeton University Community (CPUC) and U-Council Chairs. 

USG President Stephen Daniels ’24 provided an update on the campus pub, a project he advocated for during his run for the presidency. Daniels’ administration has been working to revive the pub, once located in the basement of Chancellor Green, following discussion this past spring. In the meeting, Daniels stated that he could not provide specific details, but that there is a “strong plan” in place for a possible pilot of the campus pub. 

Daniels wrote to The Daily Princetonian that developments this fall “would essentially be a pilot to determine interest in the creation of a permanent location of a campus pub,” suggesting that the pilot would include alcohol-based events in a non-permanent space this semester. 

As he previously mentioned, obtaining a liquor license was one of the biggest obstacles they faced. “Because of the lead time associated with getting the kind of alcohol license that would be necessary for a campus pub, this is the time that makes sense to hold events,” he added.

Daniels also named the current McCosh Health Center, which will relocate following construction, as a potential location for the pub sometime in the future, after the pilot takes place and the new health center is operational. “Because we are still in the planning phase, any locations for the potential events are still being determined,” he added.

U-Councilor Isabella Shutt ’24 also spoke about the Grounds for Sculpture trip on Friday, Sep. 28, which was organized by USG in collaboration with the Pace Center for Civic Engagement. Due to rainy weather, Shutt said that turnout, at 56 students, was a little lower than expected. In the meeting the week prior, Genevieve Shutt ’26 said that over 100 people had said they would attend, and more had expressed interest via a form. However, she maintained that the event was a success, and said during the meeting that a student told her it was “the best event put on by Princeton that [they had] ever been to.”

USG also voted unanimously to approve Projects Board funding, allocating $3000 to a Caribbean Studies academic conference by Princeton Caribbean Connection and $2000 to the Generational African American Student Association. The lack of a Caribbean Studies department on campus was noted during the discussion. 

The group then unanimously voted to move into executive session, which excludes any non-senate members from being present, to vote on electing a CPUC Executive Committee Representative and U-Council Chair. Daniels declined to comment on what occurred during the session. 

USG meetings are open for all students to attend and are held from 5–6 p.m. in 219 Aaron Burr Hall on Sundays. 

Nandini Krishnan is a staff News writer for the ‘Prince.’