Men’s and women’s swimming and diving compete in NCAA Championships

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 5.01.18 PM.png
Senior Nikki Venema placed 33rd in the 200 yard freestyle final and clocked in with a time of 48.70 seconds in the 100 freestyle final.
Photo Courtesy of @PUCSDT/Twitter.

These past few weeks have been a whirlwind for the Princeton Tigers men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams as the athletes competed in and earned top places at the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) championships.

In Morgantown, W.Va., Princeton’s diving team competed in the Zone A Diving Championships at the Aquatic Center at Mylan Park from March 6–8. 

In the three-meter springboard event final, first-year diver Charlotte Martinkus opened the meet with a strong 16th overall finish at 540.55 points. Following her were sophomores Francesca Noviello and Maddie Seltzer, who finished 20th with a score of 269.90 and 32nd with a score of 252.10, respectively. 

The next day, in the one-meter board event final, Martinkus finished seventh overall, with a score of 546.65. Finally, in the platform event final, junior diver Hanna Johnsson Stjernstrom finished 16th, earning a score of 419.80. 

Over on the men’s side, sophomore divers Joe Victor and George Callanan executed impressive feats in the one-meter event. Victor earned a score of 636.95, finishing fifth overall, while Callanan followed right behind him in sixth with a score of 633.85. 

In the three-meter board event, George Callanan, Victor, and sophomore Taso Callanan yet again earned historic scores. George Callanan finished sixth overall earning a score of 686.00, with his teammates Victor and Taso Callanan right behind him, placing eighth and 14th with scores of 683.00 and 644.30, respectively. 

On the final night of the meet, the three sophomores, again, earned top marks in the platform event final. George Callanan finished in first place with a score of 683.00, while Taso Callanan followed him in second, earning a score of 673.40, and Victor finished in fourth place with a score of 654.60. 

Meanwhile, women’s swimming competed in the NCAA Championships in the Allan Jones Intercollegiate Aquatics Center in Knoxville, Tenn.  

Senior swimmer Nikki Venema exhibited strength in the 100 yard freestyle and 200 yard freestyle events. She started the night strong in the 200 free final, touching the wall at one minute and 46.13 seconds, and finishing 33rd overall in the event. The next day, Venema competed in the 100 freestyle and clocked in with a time of 48.70 seconds. 

The following week, the men’s swimming team competed in the NCAA Championships at the Jean K. Freeman Aquatic Center in Minneapolis, Minn. Senior Raunak Khosla finished his swimming career on a high note, earning All-American honors in the 200 individual medley event by finishing 13th overall with a time of 1:41.69. This is Khosla’s second time receiving All-American honors, having earned the achievement in back-to-back years. 

Both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams finished the season strong with their performances at the NCAA Championships and look forward to improving during the postseason for future competitions. 

Dana Serea is a staff writer for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’

Please direct any corrections requests to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.