Tosan Evbuomwan declares for the 2023 NBA Draft

tosan_nba_draft.jpeg
Across his three NCAA tournament games, Evbuomwan averaged 16.0 points, 7.3 rebounds and 6.0 assists.
Photo Courtesy of @TwitterMBB.

After proving himself against the nation's top collegiate talent during the Tigers’ Cinderella run to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament, men’s basketball standout Tosan Evbuomwan has officially declared for the 2023 NBA draft.

Senior forward Evbuomwan announced on Wednesday, March 29 that he would forgo his final year of college eligibility to take his shot at the NBA, in an interview with ESPN.

The 2020–2021 Ivy League season was canceled due to COVID-19, so the soon-to-be Princeton graduate was granted an additional year of eligibility by the NCAA. 

The Ivy League, however, does not allow post-graduate athletes to participate in varsity athletics, so Evbuomwan would have had to take his talents elsewhere to play his final year of college basketball.

Had he entered the transfer portal, the 6’8” forward likely would have played a year at one of the nation’s top collegiate basketball programs. His basketball IQ and unique skill set would have translated easily to any high-major school — instead the senior is electing to pursue a professional career. 

“I thank my coaching staff for taking a chance on me and pushing me everyday,“  Evbuomwan wrote in a heartfelt farewell to Princeton basketball posted on his Instagram. “Together with my teammates they have offered a home away from home that I will always cherish.” 

Looking ahead, Tiger basketball fans will be following senior guard Ryan Langborg’s recruitment closely, as he too proved during the NCAA tournament that he is a high-major caliber player. In three NCAA tournament games — all of which were against Power Five conference schools — Langborg led the Tigers in scoring with an 18.7 points-per-game average.

Diego Uribe is an assistant editor for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ 

Please direct any corrections requests to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com