Openweight, heavyweight, and men’s lightweight rowing programs dominate in season openers

image.png
The women’s openweight team claimed the Class of 1987 trophy for the fifth consecutive season, with a victory over Brown and Rhode Island. 
Photo Courtesy of Row2kMedia/GoPrincetonTigers.com.

The Tigers took Shea Center by storm last weekend as men’s heavyweight, men’s lightweight, and women’s open rowing dominated in the first regattas of the season. 

For the heavyweight program, No. 9 Princeton faced off against No. 16 Drexel, No. 20 Temple, and No. 22 Georgetown, and claimed an impressive 11.6-second victory. The Tigers’ varsity eight finished ahead of Drexel with a time of 5:48.6. The second, third, and fourth varsity eights also claimed victories, with times of 5:58.2, 6:03.4, and 6:13.0, respectively. 

This regatta marks the second-consecutive year in which the heavyweight program opened its season with a strong victory against Drexel, Temple, and Georgetown. The Tigers will be fighting for another decisive victory this weekend as they welcome the United States Naval Academy on Saturday. 

In the lightweight program, No. 1 Princeton raced the No. 5 Navy Midshipmen and No. 7 Georgetown Hoyas, competing for the Murtaugh and Fosburgh Cups, respectively. The Tigers reclaimed the Murtaugh Cup from the Midshipmen with a 4.6 second victory, following the varsity eight’s finish of 5:55.4. 

The second and third varsity also finished strong with times of 6:07.5 and 6:16.1 respectively. After falling to Navy by just 1.3 seconds in the 2022 Murtaugh Cup, the Tigers were able to bring the cup back to New Jersey. 

Adding to the excitement of the day, the Tigers retained the Fosburgh Cup with a five-second victory over the Hoyas, marking the sixth consecutive Fosburgh Cup victory. The varsity eight finished with a time of 5:58.9, while the second and third varsity eights finished with times of 6:04.1 and 6:21.2 for wins of nine seconds and 6.8 seconds respectively. 

“Navy and Georgetown are fast crews so taking victory against both is a testament to how strong our team is,” first-year lightweight rower Braeden Carroll told The Daily Princetonian. “After a long winter of training, it was great to put that hard work to use.” 

Finally, the women’s open team added to the weekend’s successes, claiming the Class of 1987 Trophy for the fifth consecutive season, with a two-second victory over Brown and Rhode Island. 

The varsity eight clocked in at 6:36.6, while the third varsity finished 17 seconds ahead of Brown, with a time of 7:01.3. The varsity four also claimed a 5.8 second victory, with a time of 7:34.1. The Tigers will hope to continue this success on the road, as they compete against Harvard and Cornell in Cambridge, Mass. on April 8. 

Olivia Lechner is a contributor to the Sports section at thePrince.

Please direct any corrections requests to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.