Men’s swimming and diving takes second place at Ivy Championships

FpsnKwaWAAItw16.jpg
Raunak Khosla was named the meet’s High Point Swimmer for the third time in his career. 
Photo Courtesy of @PUCSDT/Twitter

The water was not calm this past weekend at the Katherine Moran Coleman Aquatic Center at Brown University. Throughout the Ivy League championships, Princeton and Harvard battled neck and neck in each event to earn as many points as possible, each with the hope of being crowned Ivy champion. 

While Princeton put up a spirited performance, with senior Raunak Khosla making a significant difference for the Tigers, it was not enough to take down the Crimson. Princeton finished with 1,443.5 points, while Harvard took the crown with 1,545 points. 

Khosla made waves in this meet, earning his third High Point Swimmer of the Meet award as well as the Harold Ulen Career award, with 380 career points at the Ivy League championships.

The Tigers started the meet strong with a win by a team consisting of junior Nicholas Lim, Khosla, first-year Mitch Schott, and senior Max Walther in the 800 freestyle relay. The team set a new school record of 6:16.77 and earned themselves a NCAA B cut.

In the 200 individual medley, Khosla touched the wall with a time of 1:41.11. This was Khosla’s fourth time winning the individual medley at the Ivy Championships, making him the third swimmer in Ivy League history to win the event four times in his swimming career. He set a new Ivy League, school, and pool record, and received an NCAA A cut time as well. 

A and B Standards times are set by the NCAA Division I Committee.

Next, in the 400 individual medley, Khosla clocked in with a time of 3:41.95, earning him a first place finish as well as an NCAA B cut time. Following him was first-year Lucas Strøbek, who touched the wall with 3:46.08 on the clock. 

“I’m happy with the result,” Khosla told ESPN. “I want to thank my parents and all the alums and all the guys on deck. I wouldn’t be here without them. I swim for them.” 

In the 400 medley relay, sophomore Tyler Hong, Khosla, Lim, and Schott finished with a time of 3:05.98, placing second in the race and earning an NCAA B cut time. 

Schott also finished third in the 200 freestyle with an NCAA B cut time and Princeton first-year record of 1:34.08. 

In the 100 backstroke, Hong earned himself a third place finish with a time of 47.24. Meanwhile, in the 100 butterfly, Lim also finished third, clocking in with a time of 45.87. 

On the final day of the meet, Khosla dominated the 200 fly, earning an NCAA B cut time of 1:41.72 and setting a new pool record. This was Khosla’s fourth straight year of winning the 200 fly at the Ivy championships. Just after him was Lim who touched the wall with a time of 1:45.23, also earning himself an NCAA B cut time. 

In the 1,650 freestyle, junior John Ehling finished second with a time of 15:00.18 and earned himself an NCAA B cut time. 

In the 100 freestyle, Schott touched the wall third with an NCAA B cut time of 43.08.

In 1-meter diving, sophomore Joe Victor earned a score of 300.10, finishing in fifth place.  

In 3-meter diving, Victor earned a score of 335.80, finishing fourth. Sophomore Taso Callanan followed right behind with a score of 334.80. 

While the Tigers didn’t win the meet, they won a number of accolades, earning top times and achieving personal bests. 

Princeton will be competing in the NCAA Championships from March 22–25.

Dana Serea is a staff writer for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’

Please direct any corrections requests to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.