Women’s hockey beats Brown, falls to No. 1 Yale

WIH vs. Yale.jpeg
Taylor Hyland track the puck against Yale.
https://goprincetontigers.com/news/2022/11/5/womens-ice-hockey-third-period-goals-get-no-8-yale-past-no-14-princeton.aspx

First-year forward Emerson O’Leary scored twice and junior forward Sarah Fillier tacked on another as No. 19 women’s hockey (1–3–0 overall, 1–3–0 Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference) picked up their first win of the year 3–2 at No. 21 Brown (3–2–1, 2–2–0 ECAC) on Nov. 4. The Tigers came close to making it two in a row against No. 1 Yale (4–0–0, 4–0–0) on Nov. 5, as first year goalie Taylor Hyland made 41 saves in a tight 2–0 loss in New Haven. 

The Tigers outplayed the Bears most of the game, outshooting them 30–17 overall. Their dominance started from the puck drop, as they allowed no shots on goal in the first period. O’Leary opened the scoring for Princeton late in first, getting in front of the net, turning, and firing home a wrister.

The Tigers doubled their lead early in the second, as Fillier tipped in a beautiful pass from senior defender Mariah Keopple to make it 2–0. The Bears got on the board 2:42 later, as forward Anna Hurd scored to cut the lead to 2–1. With 6:58 to go in the period, O’Leary blasted a loose puck past the goalie for her second of the game and reestablished Princeton’s two goal lead. 

Forward Olivia Williamson’s goal 2:10 into the third again put Brown within one, but sophomore goalie Jennifer Olnowich and the rest of the Tigers shut the door from there on, sealing the 3–2 win. O’Leary and sophomore forward Mia Coene each tallied two points, and are tied for the team lead in that category through the first four games. 

Against Yale, Hyland was the star for the Tigers, as she kept them in the game throughout, with a .953 save percentage. She made 18 saves in the first period and 15 in the second to keep the game scoreless heading to the third period. However, Yale’s Anna Bargman finally broke the ice with 12:53 to play, and then forward Jordan Ray made it 2–0 with 5:37 to go to seal it for the Bulldogs. Yale outshot the Tigers 43–22 overall, and goalkeeper Pia Dukaric shut down what chances Princeton did get. 

The Tigers are back in action this coming weekend when they host a two-game series against Syracuse (5–7–1, 4–0–0 College Hockey America).

Ben Burns is an associate Sports Editor at the ‘Prince’ who typically covers basketball, hockey, and soccer. Please direct any corrections requests to corrections@dailyprincetonian.com.