Princeton field hockey clinches Ivy League title with 2–0 win over Brown

fh.champs_F0YY0.jpg
The Princeton field hockey team has secured the Ivy League Championship title for the 27th time.
Courtesy of goprincetontigers.com.

On Sunday afternoon, No. 7 Princeton field hockey (12–4, 6–0 Ivy) clinched the Ivy League title, defeating Brown (8–8, 1–5) in a 2–0 win on Bedford Field.

“We were happy with the result from today and to clinch the Ivy title and NCAA birth. Both were goals heading into the season and things we have been working towards,” Coach Carla Tagliente told The Daily Princetonian after the match.

Though the Tigers kept Brown off the scoreboard, the game wasn’t without a tough fight. Brown and Princeton are the two highest scoring teams in the league, but in the first quarter, the two teams fought hard on defense, with Princeton attempting two shots and Brown aiming at one; neither found its way into the goal. The two teams persisted in the second quarter, with intense defense on both sides.

It wasn’t until the third quarter that senior defender Autumn Brown scored an impressive goal off of a penalty corner and put the Tigers in the lead, her fourth goal of the season. She was assisted by sophomore midfielder Beth Yeager.

The intense battle continued in the fourth quarter when junior goalie Robyn Thompson made an impressive save against Brown midfielder Imogen Govan’s reverse shot. From there, Princeton junior forward Grace Schulze brought the ball in the circle and passed it to senior forward Sammy Popper, who performed an amazing reverse drive to score the second goal for Princeton. The Tigers played incredibly well for the remainder of the game and secured the title win at the final buzzer.

The Ivy League win sends the Tigers directly into the NCAA tournament, which starts in less than two weeks. Next Saturday, Princeton will round out the Ivy League season against Columbia (6–10, 3–3), hoping to put another win under their belt.

“The focus right now is on Columbia. We will look to improve in certain specific areas. I would like to see us create more opportunities in the field of play,” Tagliente said. “In regards to the NCAA tournament – it’s a new season and anything can happen. We just need to focus on the game in front of us.”

Dana Serea is a contributor to the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ Please direct any corrections requests to corrections@dailyprincetonian.com.