Women’s hockey beats University of Montreal 1–0 in preseason matchup

WIH vs. MTL.jpeg
Courtesy of WIH Twitter and Shelley Szwast

The No. 9 Princeton Tigers beat the University of Montreal Carabins 1–0 Sunday afternoon in a preseason tune up. Sophomore forward Mia Coene scored the lone goal for the Tigers, while sophomore goalie Jennifer Olnowich (9 saves) and first-year goalie Taylor Hyland (13 saves, win) combined for a shutout in goal. The game also marked the return of junior forward Sarah Fillier, who missed all of last season training with the Canadian Olympic team.

“I thought we played really well Sunday, considering it was our first time together,” said Head Coach Cara Morey. “We played with a lot of speed and creativity.”

The Tigers were in control most of the game, outshooting the Carabins 43–22. Montreal’s best chances came early, when two Princeton penalties gave the Carabins a powerplay in the opening minutes. Olnowich and the defense stood tall, and the Tigers dominated the rest of the period, generating rush chances seemingly every time down the ice. Goalie Aube Racine held down the fort for Montreal, though, turning away all 20 first period shots she faced. 

Princeton finally broke the ice midway through the second period, taking advantage of a costly Montreal turnover. First-year forward Katherine Khramtsov took an errant back pass for a breakaway but was stymied by Racine. Coene followed up the play and buried the rebound for the only goal of the game. 

While the third period was more even, the Tigers never conceded a tying goal. Hyland stopped all 10 shots she faced in the period, and Princeton held off two minutes of 6-on-5 after the Carabins pulled the goalie late. Hyland was just one of the first-years who shined, as forwards Jane Kuehl, Emerson O’Leary, Issy Wunder, and the aforementioned Khramtsov all drew into the lineup and had their moments. 

With the season coming up, Morey said she is excited about her new players and is ready to get underway.

“Our newcomers looked really strong and I’m excited about the upcoming season with this team,” she said. 

The Tigers open the regular season in three weeks, when they host Colgate on Oct. 28 for their annual Black Out Baker night. 

Ben Burns is an Associate Sports Editor at the ‘Prince’ who typically covers basketball, hockey, and soccer. He can be reached at bwburns@princeton.edu or on Twitter @bwburns5_.