Men’s soccer suffers tough loss to Cornell at home, 3–1

Web_Clare_22_Cornell_8yLik.png
Senior midfielder Ryan Clare against Cornell.
Courtesy of goprincetontigers.com.

Following a 5–0 win against Virginia Tech last Tuesday, Princeton men’s soccer team dropped a crucial Ivy League match against No. 21 Cornell on Saturday, 3–1.

The Big Red led heading into the break 1–0, coming back in the second half to score another goal in the 50th minute of play. Later on in the half, senior midfielder Ryan Clare would score the first goal of the game for the Tigers, with four minutes left in the game. Making a header from the corner, Clare was assisted by senior midfielder Matteo Godoy to put the Tigers on the board with a score of 2–1.

Cornell quickly followed, to score another goal with three minutes left in the game, finalizing the score of the game at 3–1. 

Compared to Cornell’s nine shots on goal, Princeton finished the game with only five shots on goal. Sophomore goalkeeper William Watson led Princeton with a total of four saves in the first half of the game. In the second half, sophomore goalkeeper Khamari Hadaway would make two saves against the Big Red.

When reflecting on Saturday’s performance, Clare believed the team has the ability to finish the season strong. “We have been inconsistent this season and want to turn that around in this last stretch of games. I do not think any of us came out sharp enough against Cornell,” he told The Daily Princetonian. 

The Tigers have four more games scheduled this season, with three of them being Ivy games and the next game, an out-of-conference duel, being held against Fordham University in New York on Tuesday, Oct. 25. 

“We are not happy with where we are at now but still feel like there is a lot to play for,” Clare added. “I believe we have the pieces to be a really good team but we need to put together multiple strong performances in a row to prove it.” 

Sophie Steidle is a contributor to the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ She can be reached at ss6467@princeton.edu.