No. 8 field hockey defeats Dartmouth to stay undefeated in Ivy League

fh_BhVPZ.jpg
The Tigers are undefeated in Ivy play.
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com.

After a Saturday morning visit from tennis legend Billie Jean King, the No. 8 Princeton Tigers (9–4, 3–0 Ivy League) earned their fourth consecutive win this weekend at Bedford Field against Dartmouth (3–8, 0–3) progressing strongly into the Ivy League season with a 1–0 victory.

In the first quarter, sophomore midfielder Beth Yeager scored a penalty corner goal assisted by junior forward Grace Schulze and senior forward Ophélie Bemelmans. This was Yeager’s 10th goal of the season, an incredible feat for the sophomore player.

“It felt great starting the game strong,” Yeager told The Daily Princetonian.

Throughout the second and third quarter, the Tigers were kept on their toes as Dartmouth defense played very well. Dartmouth’s goalie Hatley Post had 19 saves during this game, the most by anyone in Division I this season.

“I think Dartmouth played some great defense. It’s really tough to play them as an opponent in the circle, so they did a great job,” Yeager said. “It would have been better to have more goals on the board, but it’s always fun to be able to get up early.”

The Tigers dominated the remainder of the fourth quarter, maintaining their one-goal lead until the final buzzer.

“I think we’re frustrated. Obviously we had a lot of shots, but not a lot of execution. But at the end of the day a win’s a win,” Coach Carla Tagliente told the ‘Prince.’

Next week, the Tigers face Cornell (6–5, 2–1), and they hope to secure another win in the Ivy League.

“I think if we keep playing together and keep playing our game, we definitely have a good chance of becoming Ivy League champs. Really excited for the season going forward,” Yeager said.

Dana Serea is a contributor to the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ She can be reached at ds4271@princeton.edu or on Instagram @dana.serea.