Princeton field hockey earns impressive win against UConn

field hockey v uconn 10/2/22
Princeton field hockey huddles up during their game against UConn.
Courtesy of goprincetontigers.com.

The Princeton Tigers (7–4 overall, 2–0 Ivy League) finished their weekend in Connecticut with a huge 4–2 victory over the UConn Huskies (7–3, 2–1 Big East). The Tigers were aggressive from the start, and Princeton defense continued to impress, with the Huskies not scoring until the final six minutes of the game.

The Tigers came off a 6–1 win over Yale and were looking to carry the momentum from Friday’s game. They did not find it very difficult to do so, and within the first 10 minutes of the game, senior midfielder Zoe Shephard was able to drive through the circle to the left corner of the net and tap the ball behind the Huskies’ goalie.

The Tigers spent their time working on their offense with good communication and strong passes throughout the first half. Junior goalie Robyn Thompson made an outstanding save with three minutes left in the first half, after UConn had the opportunity to score off a corner. With help from senior defender Gabby Andretta, they were able to clear the ball and shift it to the Tigers’ offensive zone.

Junior forward Grace Schulze was able to bring the ball up the field, and with one minute left in the second quarter, Schulze assisted first-year forward Talia Schenck with the first goal of her college career. 

The third quarter saw even more success for the Tigers when sophomore midfielder Beth Yeager drew a penalty stroke, and junior defender Sam Davidson sent it to the back of the net, making the score 3–0.

The Huskies were not ready to give up, however, and they fought hard during the fourth quarter. With six minutes left, they were able to score, and found another opportunity shortly after. With a score of 3–2, the Huskies were eager to even the score and send the game to overtime. They pulled their goalie up, leaving an empty net, hopeful to get another shot. Princeton answered with a goal of their own, however, and with two seconds left, senior forward Claire Donovan caught up to the open ball and tapped it in the empty goal, finishing the game with a score of 4–2 in favor of the Tigers.

Princeton is now gearing up for their match at Monmouth on Wednesday, Oct. 5. 

Evelyn Walsh is a contributing writer for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ She can be reached at ew0974@princeton.edu or on Twitter and Instagram at @evelynwalshh.