Women’s soccer held scoreless for second straight match, loses 2–0 at home to LSU

FcLlJV1X0AEnoCD.jpg
The Tigers had started the season with three consecutive victories.
Courtesy of @princetonwsoc/Twitter.

Women’s soccer (4–0–2 overall, 0–0–0 Ivy) dropped a tough match 2–0 to visiting Louisiana State (5–1–2 overall, 0–0–0 Southeastern) on Thursday night. Forward Angelina Thoreson and midfielder Wasila Diwura-Soale each scored for LSU, who were undefeated on the season before a loss Sunday against Rutgers (8—0—0).

The first half swung back and forth, as the two teams saw their chances come in bunches. LSU had three shot attempts in the first 6:16 of the game, followed by two Princeton chances four minutes later. LSU was able to break through in the 14th minute, when Thoreson found the back of the net for her first goal of the year.

Princeton locked down for the rest of the half, outshooting LSU 3–0 after Thoreson’s goal as they drove for the equalizer. LSU held firm, though, and took the 1–0 lead into halftime.

Coming out of the half, Princeton immediately had a corner and two shot attempts, one of which forced LSU keeper Mollee Swift to make a save in the 46th minute.

Despite the pressure from Princeton, LSU doubled their lead soon after when Diwura-Soale scored to make it 2—0 in the 66th minute. Princeton pushed hard in the final third of the match to narrow the deficit, but they simply could not crack the LSU defense.

Their best chances came in a two minute stretch starting in the 80th minute, where they had one shot saved, two blocked, and one sail wide. When the clock struck 90 minutes, the Tigers found themselves without a goal for the second game in a row.

Despite the loss, Princeton was able to put consistent pressure on the LSU backline. They outshot LSU 14–7 overall, while edging out the visitors in shots on goal (5–3) and corner kicks (4–1). Swift was a brick wall in net for LSU, stopping all five Princeton shots that managed to find their way on target.

The Tigers bounced back from the loss Sunday with a 4–1 win over George Mason (1–5–2), and will face Hofstra (4–1–1) on Thursday, Sept. 15.

Ben Burns is an Associate Sports Editor at the 'Prince' who typically covers basketball, hockey, and soccer. He can be reached at bwburns@princeton.edu or on Twitter @bwburns5_.