Princeton summer journalism program to remain virtual in 2022, as theater program returns to in person

Cuyler Hall

Two summer programs traditionally held on the Princeton campus have taken different approaches for summer 2022, as COVID-19 restrictions have loosened this spring. 

The Princeton Summer Journalism Program will be virtual for high school attendees for summer 2022, as it was in the previous two summers, while the Princeton Summer Theater will be in person on campus and begin housing participants and student instructors starting May 29.

For participants in the Princeton Summer Theater program, as well as other University students attempting to secure housing on campus between the end of finals week and the start of their program, obtaining such housing has posed a challenge.

“Student housing is in very high demand during the period from May 13 to May 29, due to Reunions and Commencement celebrations — including the Class of 2020’s May 18 Commencement event,” Deputy Spokesperson for the University Michael Hotchkiss told the The Daily Princetonian. “Aside from students approved for continuous housing, all students allocated housing during this period must agree to work in support of Reunions at some point during the events.”

“The University is in the process of making housing assignments for summer programs based on the availability of space and programs’ ability to comply with necessary COVID-related policies,” Hotchkiss added.

Gabriel Robare ’24, the Company Director for Princeton Summer Theater, told the ‘Prince’ that finding housing has been a “complicated situation for sure.”

Robare is the Head Puzzles Editor and a staff writer for the ‘Prince.’

“There are two separate issues: summer housing and interim housing,” Robare said. “Summer housing covers accommodation from May 29th to the end of the summer term. Interim housing covers the period of time between the end of the semester and May 29th.”

He pointed out that the Princeton Summer Theater Program was told that 30 beds would be made available for students and instructors.

“Interim housing is the issue,” he said. “There is competitive housing for reunions, but it is only available for people [working] reunions in some capacity. We are not working reunions, and therefore are having trouble finding housing from May 10th through the 29th.”

High school participants of the Princeton Summer Journalism Program will not be housed on campus, and will attend the program virtually, according to leadership of the program. 

Lia Opperman ’25, an intern for the Princeton Summer Journalism Program, told the ‘Prince’ that “interns will be housed from early June until August 12.”

Opperman is an Assistant News Editor for the ‘Prince’.

Outside of these programs, University students were able to apply to stay in University housing over the summer.

“A total of 198 students applied for continuous housing, and 136 students will be on campus at some point during the summer through continuous housing. COVID testing will continue on a monthly basis for continuous housing students. Isolation housing will be available, though students will continue to isolate in their room if they have their own sleeping space,” Hotchkiss mentioned.

Aidan Iacobucci is a staff news writer for the ‘Prince.’ He can be reached at iacobucci@princeton.edu or @aidaniaco on Instagram.