Women's lacrosse wins four Ivy awards as both lacrosse teams dominate conference honoree selections

kylasears1.jpg
Kyla Sears helped Princeton beat Penn Wednesday night. 
Jack Graham / The Daily Princetonian 

With both teams ranked nationally all year long, it’s no surprise that players on both the men’s and women’s lacrosse teams received myriad honors from the Ivy League.

The men (9–4 overall, 3–3 Ivy League), who are ranked No. 9 nationally despite having missed out on the Ivy League tournament, saw a staggering eight players named as All-Ivy selections, including senior attack Chris Brown and senior defenseman George Baughan, both of whom were named to the First Team. Four more Tigers made the second team, including junior midfielders Sam English, Beau Pederson, and Jake Stevens, as well as long-stick midfielder Andrew Song.

The six First and Second-Teamers were joined by junior midfielder Alex Vardaro and junior attack Alex Slusher, both of whom were named as All-Ivy honorable mentions.

The No. 9-ranked women (12–3, 7–0), coming fresh off of their seventh-consecutive League title, made an even bigger splash than the men in terms of awards, matching their eight All-Ivy selections while adding four award-winners. Head Coach Chris Sailer took home the Ivy League Coach of the Year award in her final season with the program, while senior attack Kyla Sears took home Attacker of the Year. Senior defender Marge Donovan took home the award for her position, too, as did senior goalkeeper Sam Fish. As expected, all three were also named as First Team All-Ivy selections.

“I’m honored to win defender of the year. This award is a reflection of all the hard work our defense has put in as a unit,“ Donovan wrote in a comment to The Daily Princetonian. “Our associate head coach and defensive coordinator, Jenn Cook, has been a mentor and role model on and off the field, and has been instrumental in fostering an environment where we can have this kind of success as lacrosse players and as women. Our assistant coach, Kerrin Maurer, has also helped keep our draw team prepared and scrappy on the draw circle.”

Representing the Tigers on the All-Ivy Second Team were junior attacker Kate Mulham and sophomore attack Grace Tauckus. Senior defenders Mary Murphy and Olivia Pugh and junior midfielder Maria Pansini rounded out the Tigers’ All-Ivy honorees, as all three were named All-Ivy Honorable Mentions.

The women will continue Ivy League play this weekend as they host the Ivy League tournament, and will most certainly play in the NCAA tournament regardless of the result. The men are likely to compete in the NCAAs, but will sit out this weekend while the top four teams in the conference compete for the post-season crown. 

Wilson Conn is a co-head editor for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ He is also a senior writer for the Podcast section. He can be reached at wconn@princeton.edu or on Twitter at @wilson_conn.