Eating clubs update visitor policies in line with new Princeton COVID-19 regulations

ivy Candace Do DP.jpg
Ivy Club
Candace Do/The Daily Princetonian

Following the Feb. 1 update to University COVID-19 policies, which saw a loosening of the restrictions on indoor event capacities and an expansion of the categories of approved visitors, eating clubs have adjusted their policies to allow students to bring guests for meals and club events. 

Under updated University guidelines, “undergraduate and graduate students who reside in residential dormitories may sponsor visitors” who comply with the University’s vaccination policy.

Prior to this update, eating clubs prohibited students from sponsoring visitors for meals or club events, which were restricted only to members or University students in the testing protocol.

According to Interclub Council President and Ivy Club President Sophie Singletary ’23, all eating clubs’ visitor policies continue to align with the University’s general policies. 

“Guests are required to show proof of vaccination upon entering but are no longer required to wear masks, per the University’s changes in COVID policy,” Singletary said in an email to The Daily Princetonian. She added that any standing member can invite visitors.

Singletary said she does not foresee any further changes in visitor policies for the remainder of the academic year. 

“The current visitor policy reflects much of the pre-COVID process for visitation and is not likely to change in the coming year,” she said in the email.

She also explained that the new rule applies to breakfast, lunch, dinner, and nighttime events. 

“Club members can meal exchange with members from other clubs on the Street, and all Princeton students and out-of-town guests alike are able to come to the club for events such as formals and Lawnparties, upon invitation,” she wrote.

The process of visitors’ approval varies between clubs, but remains consistent with pre-pandemic procedures.

“The process of visitor approval for other Princeton club members is through the meal exchange electronic system and for nighttime events — which are open to all Princeton students and visitors — is by way of list, pass, or prox,” Singletary wrote.

Tower Club Vice President Anubhav Agarwal ’23 mentioned that a testing requirement is still in place.

“Tower’s current guest policy for our [out-of-town] guests requires a negative COVID test from that week, alongside our usual guest policy (list/pass),” Agarwal said in an email to the ‘Prince.’

Diya Kraybill is a Senior News Writer who often covers student groups and university affairs. She can be reached at diyak@princeton.edu.