Women's ice hockey falls to No. 6 Yale in final home game of season

Women's Hockey vs. Yale
The Tigers finished the conference season with 30.5 points, good for eighth place in the ECAC.
Photo courtesy of Shelley M. Szwast/GoPrincetonTigers.com.

Unfortunately, the fans who took part in “Black Out Baker” this Saturday couldn’t push their home team toward victory.

The women’s hockey team (11–13–5 overall, 9–10–3 ECAC) dropped their final home game of the season on Feb. 19 against No. 6 Yale (22–6–1, 16–5–1) by a score of 3–0. 

In the first period, the Tigers came out strong, outshooting Yale 8–4. Junior forward Maggie Connors led the Orange and Black with four shots. First-year forward Mia Coene, senior forward Sarah Verbeek, sophomore forward Daniella Calabrese, and junior forward Kayla Fillier contributed one shot each. 

Despite Princeton’s advantage in shots, they fell behind on the scoreboard. Yale’s forward Charlotte Welch managed to send a shot past senior goalkeeper Rachel McQuigge in the last two minutes of the first period, putting the score at 1–0 in Yale’s favor.

The Tigers stayed strong in the second period with McQuigge saving an impressive 11 out of 12 shots. Keeping up a steady offense, Princeton made another seven attempts. Junior defender Mariah Keopple and sophomore defender Kate Monihan had two shots each, and senior forwards Shannon Griffin, Sharon Frankel, and Verbeek had one shot each. But a goal by Bulldog forward Claire Dalton halfway through the period, assisted by Welch and forward Rebecca Vanstone, allowed Yale to double their advantage.

Once again, Princeton pushed forward during the third period, as they outshot Yale 8–4. Sophomore forward Emma Kee led the attempts with three shots; Verbeek, Griffin, Calabrese, and first-year defenders Emma Dornseif and Dominique Cormier had one shot each. Despite their aggressive offense, McQuigge was unable to save the final shot by Yale’s forward Elle Hartje, which put the final score at 3–0 for the Bulldogs. 

This game marked the last home game in the careers of seniors Frankel, Griffin, McQuigge, and Verbeek. The loss was a tough one for the Tigers, but they are hoping to finish out the season strong at the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Hockey Tournament, where they enter as the No. 8 seed, the lowest-ranked team to qualify for the postseason. 

Their ECAC Tournament will begin on Friday, Feb. 25 in Cambridge as they begin a best-of-three series against the No. 1-seeded Harvard Crimson.

Lizzie Evanko is an Associate Sports Editor at the ‘Prince.’ She can be reached at eevanko@princeton.edu.