Sports Recap: Track and field break records while hockey struggles continue

jump.jpeg
Men’s track at the Dr. Sander Invitational. 
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com

Men’s Track at Dr. Sander Invitational 

At Columbia University’s Dr. Sander Invitational on Feb. 4–5, the men’s track and field team finished sixth out of 21 teams, posting 42.5 points. Senior hurdler Christian Brown broke the Ivy League record for the 60m hurdles with a time of 7.76 seconds, surpassing Joey Daniels ’20’s record of 7.77 seconds. Junior pole vaulter Sondre Guttormsen broke his own personal best and secured the Ivy League record in the pole vault clearing a height of 5.75m.

The Tigers are now ranked No. 7 in the country, moving up two spots from last week. They will be attending the Tyson Invitational in Arkansas from Feb. 11–12.  

Women’s Track at Dr. Sander Invitational 

The women’s track and field team came in seventh out of 23 teams with 38 points at the Dr. Sander Invitational. On Friday, the distance medley relay team of junior Maggie Hock, first-year Adelaide Asante, sophomore Tsion Yared, and senior Caroline Timm broke the Princeton record with a time of 11:11.00. Yared saw success on Saturday as well, as she finished with a time of 2:09.40 in the 800m, breaking her personal best and securing the eighth-fastest time in Princeton history.

The Tigers will be attending both Boston University’s David Hemery Valentine Invitational and the Rutgers Open on Feb. 11–12.

Women’s Ice Hockey vs. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), St. Lawrence, Clarkson  

The women’s ice hockey team (9–11–4 overall, 7–8–2 ECAC) won 3–2 against RPI (9–18, 5–12) in overtime on Tuesday afternoon. Sophomore forward Annie Kuehl scored first for Princeton early in the opening period, giving the Tigers a one-goal advantage. RPI responded with two goals of their own to take the lead, 2–1. Senior forward and captain Shannon Griffin tied the game at two apiece, leading the game into overtime. Junior defender Mariah Keopple secured the win for the Tigers with a goal three minutes into the extra period.

The team fell to St. Lawrence (14–10–5, 10–5–2) and No. 10 Clarkson (21–6–3, 12–5–1) in their weekend games. The Saints secured a 3–0 shutout win against the Tigers, and the Golden Knights won 7–1. Junior defender Solveig Neunzert scored Princeton’s only weekend goal in the third period of the game against Clarkson.

The Tigers will be taking the ice next against the Harvard Crimson in Cambridge on Friday, Feb. 11.

Check out this article for more details on the game against St. Lawrence and Clarkson.

Men’s Ice Hockey vs RPI, Union 

The men’s ice hockey team (6–12–2 overall, 5–7–1 ECAC) secured an impressive 3–2 win against RPI (12–17–3, 7–9–0) on Friday afternoon. All three of Princeton’s goals were scored in the second period by three different Tigers, with junior defender Pito Walton, sophomore forward Ian Murphy, and senior forward Christian O’Neill each finding the back of the net.

On Saturday, Princeton lost 7–3 to Union (10–14–3, 7–8–1). The Tigers trailed by one goal for most of the first period. However, the Dutchmen completely dominated the ice late in the second period until the end of the game, scoring two unanswered goals in the third period to take the win.

Princeton will be on the road against Clarkson on Feb. 11.

Check out this article for a full recap of the games against RPI and Union.

Men’s Basketball vs. Cornell, Columbia

On Friday evening, the men’s basketball team (16–5 overall, 6–2 Ivy League) lost 88–83 against the Cornell Big Red (12–7, 4–4). The first half saw multiple lead changes with neither team dominating, but Cornell managed to pull ahead at the end of the half, and led the Tigers by six points at the intermission. The Tigers came back in the second half, taking an 83–81 lead near the end of regulation, but Cornell closed the game on a 7–0 run. Junior forward Tosan Evbuomwan and senior guard Ethan Wright led the Tigers with 27 and 26 points, respectively.

Saturday’s game against the Columbia Lions (4–16, 1–7) was an entirely different story. The Tigers left New York on a high note, winning by a score of 85–63. Wright shot above 50 percent from both the two and three-point ranges, adding 27 total points in the Tigers’ winning effort. Senior forward Drew Friberg followed Wright with 17 points of his own.

The Tigers will be playing just once this weekend, against Dartmouth in Jadwin Gymnasium on Saturday, Feb. 12.

Check out these articles for a full recap of Princeton’s matchups against Cornell and Columbia.

Women’s Basketball vs. Cornell, Columbia

The women’s basketball team (16–4 overall, 8–0 Ivy League) remained undefeated in conference play after a 75–37 win against the Cornell Big Red (7–12, 2–6) Friday night. The Tigers were in control throughout, ultimately doubling Cornell’s score. Junior guard Grace Stone, senior guard Abby Meyers, and junior guard Julia Cunningham all scored in double digits, leading the Tigers with 14, 12, and 11 points, respectively.

In their next game of league play, the Tigers defeated the previously undefeated Columbia Lions (16–4, 7–1) by a score of 57–39. Again, Cunningham, Meyers, and Stone led Princeton in scoring with 19, 16, and 10 points, respectively.

Like the men’s team, the women will next play against Dartmouth on Dec. 12; however, the women will be traveling to New Hampshire for their match.

Check out this article for a full recap of the Tigers victories over Cornell and Columbia.

Men’s Volleyball vs. Penn State, Saint Francis 

On Friday evening, men’s volleyball (1–7 overall, 0–2 EIVA) fell to No. 5 Penn State (7–3, 2–0), losing in straight sets in what was their first conference matchup of 2022. The Nittany Lions won 25–18 in the first set, and although the Tigers found some momentum in the second, they ultimately lost by three points, 25–22. The momentum built in the second set was short lived, as they fell 25–7 in the third and final set. Sophomore opposite hitter James Hartley led the Tigers with nine kills and six digs; sophomore middle Josh Coan added 3 blocks of his own in the defeat.

Unfortunately for the Tigers, their Saturday game against Saint Francis (4–4, 2–0) yielded similar results with a 3–1 loss. Princeton started strong, earning a 25–20 victory over the Red Flash in the first set. However, Saint Francis responded strongly in the next set, winning 25–16, a tally that would set the tone for the remainder of the game. The Red Flash edged out the Tigers in the last two sets with wins by scores of 26–24 and 25–22, respectively.

The Tigers will be on the road against NJIT in another conference matchup on Feb. 12. 

Julia Nguyen is a co-head editor for the Sports section at the 'Prince' who usually covers the weekend recaps. She can be reached at trucn@princeton.edu or on instagram at @jt.nguyen.