Sports Recap: Women’s fencing, women’s tennis crowned conference champions as basketball teams dominate Dartmouth

Fencing champs 2022
Women’s fencing, currently ranked No. 1 in the country, captured the Ivy League title on Sunday.
Photo courtesy of @princetonfencing/Instagram.

Men’s ice hockey vs. Yale, Clarkson, St. Lawrence 

In last week’s opening game, the Princeton Tigers (8–14–2 overall, 7–9–1 Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC)) took down the Yale Bulldogs (5–15–1, 4–10–1) in a 2–1 home victory. The Tigers netted both of their goals in the second period less than two minutes apart, scored by senior forward Corey Andonovski and sophomore forward Nick Seitz. The Tigers had won all of their games against Ivy League teams this season up to this point. 

Their Friday, Feb. 11 game, however, saw less than ideal results for the Tigers with a 7–1 loss against No. 19 Clarkson (17–7–6, 12–2–4). The two had competed earlier in the season at Hobey Baker Rink when Princeton fell 8–3. The Clarkson Golden Knights scored the first six goals of the game, all during the first two periods. With less than 40 seconds left in the second period, sophomore forward Ian Murphy finally managed to put one on the scoreboard for the Tigers. The Golden Knights responded with one final goal in the third period, but Princeton was able to keep them from finding the net for the remainder of the game. 

Following Friday’s loss, the Tigers bounced back with a 3–2 win against St. Lawrence (7–15–6, 5–9–4) on the road. Murphy scored the first goal 12 minutes into the opening period to give the Tigers a one-goal advantage. St. Lawrence responded with a goal of their own four minutes later. However, two consecutive goals from Princeton early in the second period were enough to secure a victory for the Tigers. 

Unfortunately, the momentum didn’t last for long, as the Tigers lost at Baker Rink on Feb. 14 to the Dartmouth Big Green (5–17–3, 4–12–2), who were second-to-last in the ECAC entering the game. It wasn’t close, either; Dartmouth led 5–2 through two periods, and eventually won 7–3. However, Murphy managed to net a goal for the third consecutive game. This was Princeton’s first Ivy League loss. 

The Tigers will be in action again when they travel to Cambridge for a matchup against the Harvard Crimson on Friday, Feb. 18.

Check out these articles for the full recap against Yale, Clarkson, and St. Lawrence

Women’s ice hockey vs. Harvard, Dartmouth 

In their first of three games between Feb. 11 and Feb. 13, the women’s ice hockey team (11–12–4 overall, 9–9–2 ECAC) fell 2–0 to No. 6 Harvard (19–7–0, 14–5–0). The beginning of the game was dominated by the Tigers. While Princeton couldn’t find the net, they also managed to hold off the Harvard Crimson from scoring in the opening period. Despite a strong first period, though, the Tigers faltered in the second and third, letting in two goals from Harvard en route to a 2–0 loss. 

Despite a loss to start off the weekend, the Tigers swept Dartmouth (8–18–1, 2–17–1) with wins in their matchups on Saturday, Feb. 12 and Sunday, Feb. 13. Saturday’s game saw a 4–0 shutout in favor of the Tigers. Senior forward Shannon Griffin opened the scoring floor for Princeton, finding the net within the first half of the opening period. Junior forward Maggie Connors added two goals and sophomore forward Annie Kuehl added one to the scoreboard during the second period to secure the win for the Tigers. 

Princeton dominated the ice on Sunday against the Dartmouth Big Green as well, winning 4–1. The Tigers scored three goals within the first half of the opening period to gain a 3–0 advantage. Junior defender Solveig Neunzert found the net late in the second period to make it 4–0 for Princeton. The Big Green finally slipped one past Princeton in the third, but this was not enough to close the gap. 

Princeton will be hosting the Brown Bears on Friday, Feb. 18 at Baker Rink for another conference matchup.

Check out this article for a full recap of the games against Harvard and Dartmouth. 

Men’s basketball vs. Dartmouth

The Tigers (17–5 overall, 7–2 Ivy League) defeated the Dartmouth Big Green (5–15, 2–7) by a score of 85–40 on Saturday, Feb. 12 at Jadwin Gymnasium. Princeton walked onto the court in the opening half with intentions to dominate the game, and that is exactly what they did. Junior forward Tosan Evbuomwan went on a 6–0 run right as the clock started, leading the Tigers in scoring with 15 points total. Junior guard Ryan Langborg followed with 12 points of his own. 

The Tigers will be on the road against Brown on Friday, Feb. 18 in another round of Ivy League play.

Check out this article for a full recap of the Tigers’ victory against Dartmouth.

Women’s basketball vs. Dartmouth 

The women’s basketball team (17–4 overall, 9–0 Ivy League) extended their win streak to 10 games following a 70–48 victory over the Dartmouth Big Green (2–20, 1–9). Senior guard Abby Meyers led the Tigers with 19 points and eight rebounds. Junior guard Julia Cunningham followed with 16 points and four rebounds. The Tigers, in first place and undefeated in the league, have earned a spot in the Ivy League tournament. 

Princeton will be hosting the Brown Bears with a home-court advantage at Jadwin Gym on Friday, Feb. 18. 

Check out this article for a full recap of the Tigers’ win over Dartmouth.  

Men’s track at Tyson Invitational, Boston University David Hemery Valentine Invitational

This past weekend, the men’s track team set multiple school and Ivy League records. In the pole vault, junior Sondre Guttormsen’s 5.82 meters set the new Ivy League and Norwegian records in the sport. Senior Sam Ellis also set a new league record with 3:56.87 in the mile run. Ellis’ fellow senior teammate Ibrahim Ayorinde ran the fastest 200 meters in Princeton history with a time of 21.18 seconds. 

The Tigers will be hosting the Princeton Invitational at Jadwin Gymnasium on Sunday, Feb. 20. 

Women’s track at BU David Hemery Valentine Invitational, Rutgers Open 

On Friday, the women’s track team saw multiple athletes write themselves into the record books, too. Senior Maggie Hock ran the fastest 1000 meters in school history with a time of 2:44.00. Sophomore Tsion Yared followed with 2:47.00, earning the fourth-best mark in school history. Senior Caroline Timm ran a mile time of 4:39.65, good for second place in Princeton history. Sophomore Fiona Max is now third all-time at Princeton in 3,000 meters with a time of 9:16.32. 

Women’s Fencing at Ivy League Round Robin

This past weekend, No. 1 Princeton traveled to Providence, R.I. for the Ivy League Round Robin tournament and earned the title of Ivy League Champions. As first in the nation, it was no surprise that the Tigers went undefeated in the tournament. Six fencers  — junior Chloe Fox-Gitomer, senior Maia Chamberlain, first-year Maia Weintraub, junior May Tieu, first-year Jessica Lin, and sophomore Ryan Jenkins  — received All-Ivy League recognition. 

The Tigers will be competing in the Temple Duals next on Sunday, Feb. 27. 

Women’s Indoor Tennis at ECAC Championships 

Princeton’s women’s indoor tennis team (3–6) earned the title of ECAC champions after defeating Cornell (4–0), Columbia (4–0), and Harvard (4–0) during the ECAC championship which took place between Feb. 11 and Feb. 13. Princeton faced the Cornell Big Red on Friday, Feb. 11 and won all three double and six single matches. Columbia’s matches on Saturday, Feb. 12 saw two out of three wins in the double matches and all five single wins in favor of Princeton. The Sunday, Feb. 13 match against the Harvard Crimson yielded results similar to Saturday’s with two double wins and five single wins. 

The Tigers will be competing against No. 16 Michigan on Sunday, Feb. 20. 

Julia Nguyen is a co-head editor for the Sports section at the 'Prince' who usually covers the weekend recaps. She can be reached at trucn@princeton.edu or on instagram at @jt.nguyen.

Wilson Conn is a co-head editor for the Sports section at the 'Prince' who typically covers football, basketball, and breaking news. He is also a senior writer for the Podcast section. He can be reached at wconn@princeton.edu or on Twitter at @wilson_conn.