Football crushes Stetson, Women’s soccer shuts out Yale: The Weekend Recap

_pep talk Natalia Maidique.JPG
The women's soccer team meets in a quick circle before starting the second half of their game against Yale Saturday night. The score was still 0–0 at this point.
Natalia Maidique / The Daily Princetonian

Football

Princeton crushed Stetson 63–0 in their first home game since 2019. Check out staff writer Wilson Conn’s article on Saturday’s results. Senior quarterback Cole Smith had two rushing touchdowns, 225 passing yards, and four touchdown passes. 

Field hockey splits games against Penn, Rutgers

In their Ivy League opener on the road against Penn, Princeton field hockey returned to campus with an exciting 5–1 win under their belts. A goal late in the first period by first-year midfielder Beth Yeager, assisted by junior midfielder Sammy Popper, gave Princeton a 1–0 lead. First-year midfielder Peggy Winterborn also scored, impressively slipping the ball into the cage without assistance. Sophomore forward Bridget Murphy, who had just recovered from an injury from their season opener against UNC, added to the scoreboard without hesitation as well. Junior striker Ali McCarthy scored twice in the last period after a goal from Penn.

The Rutgers Green Knights beat the Tigers 3–1 Sunday at home. After an early goal by first-year midfielder Beth Yeager — scoring the first goal of the game for the second game in a row — Rutgers came back, tying the game 1–1 at the half and pulling ahead to 3–1 in the third quarter. The Tigers will host Yale on Friday at 5 p.m. and UConn at noon Sunday.

MSOC beats Penn State

This past Saturday, men’s soccer walked off of Sherrerd field with a Big 10 win against Penn State, their third win of the season (3–3–0). With just a couple minutes left in the opening half, a shot on goal by first-year midfielder James Wangsness was deflected to sophomore defender Francis Akomeah-Sirleaf. Akomeah-Sirleaf quickly took the opportunity to find the net and was met with success as his teammate, first-year forward Harry Roberts, used his chest to complete the goal. The goal ultimately determined the Tigers’ victory as neither team was able to score in the second half. Men’s soccer will be hosting Saint John’s University on Tuesday, Sept. 28 at 8 p.m. on Sherrerd field. 

WSOC shuts out Yale in Ivy opener

On Saturday night, women’s soccer hosted the Yale Bulldogs in their Ivy League home opener. The bleachers at Sherrerd Field were full of energy as the Tigers earned themselves a 4th shutout of the season, winning 4–0. While neither team scored in the first half, Princeton returned to the field after halftime with enough ferocity to score four. Goals were scored by senior forward Gabi Juarez, sophomore forwards Jen Estes and Alexis Hiltunen, and first-year forward/midfielder Ella Midura. The team currently holds an impressive 7–1–1 overall record this season. They will be playing Bucknell on Sherrerd Field on Tuesday, Sept. 28 at 5 p.m. next. 

Men’s tennis plays at the Orange & Blue Classic

Men’s tennis had a solid showing over the weekend at the Orange & Blue Classic in Charlottesville, VA, held at the Boar’s Head Tennis Club. Sunday’s play saw a doubles win from senior Bill Duo and junior Thomas Bosancic, along with singles wins from senior Damian Rodriguez and first-year Filippos Astreinidis out of nine total matches Sunday. The team fell short of the winning cup but looks forward to more competition come fall with injuries cleared and training in full swing.

Tom Salotti is a Head Sports Editor at the 'Prince.' He can be reached at tsalotti@pricneton.edu.

Julia Nguyen is a staff writer for the News and Sports sections at the 'Prince.' She can be reached at trucn@princeton.edu or on instagram at @jt.nguyen. 

Nolan Musslewhite is a contributor at the 'Prince.' He can be reached on Instagram at @nmussle.