USG appoints committee members, reports on referendum progress

USG New Members
USG Council members vote to confirm new committee members.
Caroline Shückel / The Daily Princetonian

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate met on Sunday, Sept. 27 to approve the appointment of new committee members for this semester.

Four committees — Sustainability, Social, Academics, and the Undergraduate Student Life Committee (USLC) — approved the addition of 10, five, six, and 13 new members, respectively.

Bradley Phelps ’22 abstained from voting, but the result was otherwise unanimously in favor of approving the new members.

In his weekly report to the Senate, USG President Christian Potter ’22 recapped this week’s Council of the Princeton University Community (CPUC) meeting, listing updates on the University’s COVID-19 response, campus construction, and fossil fuel dissociation as the agenda topics.

Potter also mentioned the day’s earlier announcement from the USG Social Committee that LANY will headline this year’s Lawnparties.

USG Social Chair William Gu ’23 addressed the budgetary concern many students have expressed to him and other members of the Senate after the announcement that LANY is headlining Lawnparties.

“The [Lawnparties budget of] $160,000 doesn’t go only to the artist, it also goes to ... the production of the site, security, food, activities, and insurance,” he said.

Potter also updated the Senate on the progress of a recent referendum passed in the spring. Referendum One, which called for all federal election days to become student holidays, was overwhelmingly passed with 89 percent of student votes last semester.

“Unfortunately, we did not get a response to the position paper, which is frustrating,” Potter said.

There were no updates on Referendum Two, which called for the University to divest from fossil fuel companies.

After a referendum passes, position papers are drafted by the USG Senate and the sponsor of the referendum before being sent to administrators and other key players relevant to the contents of the referendum.

Nemo Newman ’23 spoke about Wintersession, encouraging the Senate to submit applications to host their own workshops during the two-week period from Jan. 10–23, 2022.

USG Senate meetings are open to all undergraduate students and take place every Sunday night at 8 p.m. in Robertson Hall 016.

Andrew Somerville is a staff writer who corresponds with and covers USG happenings and other campus news. He can be reached at jas19@princeton.edu.