Orange Key tours return to campus

orange key caroline.jpeg
Caroline Kirby ’23 addresses her tour group outside Frist Campus Center.
Edward Tian / The Daily Princetonian

The University has relaunched its Orange Key tours, hosting the first in-person campus tours for prospective students and parents since March 2020.

According to the Orange Key website, the three tour time slots for Monday, September 20 were all fully booked the night before, with the year’s first tour open to the public beginning at 10 a.m. The new Orange Key route started at the University Store at 36 University Place, the new home of Princeton’s Office of Admissions. 

Tour guides Caroline Kirby ’23, Sakura Price ’23, and Justin Curl ’22 each led their own tour group. 

As the tour group stepped out from the U-Store toward the steps of Blair Arch, Curl noted the significance of the moment, as the first in-person tour since the start of the pandemic.

“I hope you’re as excited to be here as I am,” he shouted.

Price, who gave virtual tours during the past year, was equally enthusiastic.

“Prospective students get to actually see campus,” she said. “And you can finally see people laughing when your jokes hit.”

orange key sakura.jpeg
Sakura Price ’23 (left) and her tour group, including high school senior Erika Petterson and her father, Chad Petterson (center). 
Edward Tian / The Daily Princetonian

High school senior Erika Petterson and her father, Chad Petterson, flew in from Nashville, Tenn., to visit the University. They are combining the tour with a lacrosse tournament Erika is attending, Chad said.

“Every time, I thought the last place would be my favorite, but it just kept on going,” Erika said, referring to both the content of the tour and the University’s renowned architecture.

Curl’s favorite part of the tour is the scenic walkway between the Architecture building and McCosh Hall. “At this part of the tour, I get to talk about the University’s undergraduate focus and availability of the professors,” Curl said. 

“Giving tours always makes me excited to be at Princeton,” Price told The Daily Princetonian towards the end of her tour. Then, a passerby shouted “Happy birthday!” at her. It wasn’t her birthday, but the tour group congratulated her anyway.

Edward Tian is a news and features writer who experiments with data driven and alternative story format (ASF) reporting. He can be reached on twitter @edward_the6.