Princeton clinic begins booster shot administration

Jadwin Gymnasium
Jadwin Gymnasium.
Photo Courtesy of Jon Ort / The Daily Princetonian.

As the duration of immunity afforded by COVID-19 vaccines remains to be seen, experts suggest a booster shot is necessary to continue protecting against COVID-19, in a manner similar to an annual flu shot. The University is now administering these booster shots at its vaccine clinic at Jadwin Gym. 

In an email to The Daily Princetonian, University Spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss wrote,  “A small number of students have reported receiving a third dose using the MyUHS portal.”

Eligibility for the third dose is dependent on a number of factors, according to Hotchkiss, much like the first two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine.

“Federal and state health officials currently recommend additional doses of the COVID vaccine for individuals who are severely or moderately immunocompromised and for whom at least 28 days have passed since receiving their second dose,” he continued. “The University continues to host vaccination clinics open to students, faculty, staff and the public.”

Several students have already received their third doses of the vaccine, some of them at the on-campus testing clinic itself, such as Naomi Hess ’22.

“Last Wednesday, I went to the University clinic to get my booster shot of the Pfizer vaccine, and it was super straightforward. I had been in communication with my doctor and she recommended that I visit the clinic,” said Hess in an interview with the ‘Prince.’

Hess is an associate news editor at the ‘Prince.’

Whether the University will require booster shots remains unclear. 

“Any decisions about widespread use of additional doses would be based on guidance from federal and state health officials,” Hotchkiss wrote.

Hess advised students who are eligible for a third dose to ask medical professionals beforehand. “It’s important for students who might qualify under the current conditions for the booster to consult with their doctors. But if someone decides to get the booster, I think the University clinic is a great place to get it,” Hess said. “It was super convenient that I did not have to leave campus.”

In order to return to campus in the fall 2021 semester, students and employees were required to be vaccinated. According to the most recent statistics cited by Dean of the College Jill Dolan, 98 percent of students have been vaccinated. Vaccinated students must continue to participate in the asymptomatic testing protocol by submitting weekly tests, while unvaccinated students must test twice a week. As of the Sept. 10 guidance, students must continue wearing masks indoors.

Editor’s Note: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that booster shots are being administered at the University testing clinic. They are being administered at the University’s vaccine clinic at Jadwin Gym. The ‘Prince’ regrets the error.