John Mack ’00, former track and field athlete, to become athletic director

john_mack_new_athletic_director.jpg
John Mack ’00. 
Photo Credit: Princeton Athletics.

Princeton University announced on Wednesday that John Mack ’00, a former captain of the men’s track and field team, will be the next Ford Family Director of Athletics. He will officially begin his tenure on Sept. 1.

Mack’s time as a sprinter on the men’s track and field team was marked by success. He is a four-time winner of the 400 meter title at the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships (Heps), with three wins from indoor seasons and one from outdoors. His relay wins include the 4x400 at the 1997 and 1999 Indoor Heps. After serving as team captain, Mack was awarded the Bonthron Trophy in 2000. The Bonthron Trophy is one of the team’s highest awards, given to a member of the team “who through sportsmanship, influence and performance has contributed most to the sport at Princeton.” 

Mack was selected through a nationwide search conducted after former Ford Family Director of Athletics Mollie Marcoux Samaan ’91 left the University in May to join the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) as commissioner.

“It is wonderful to be able to welcome John Mack back to Princeton,” Vice President for Campus Life Rochelle Calhoun said in a press release. “The search committee and other campus partners who had the opportunity to speak with John were truly inspired by his dedication to student-athletes, his passion for teaching and learning through sport and his vision for the positive role that athletics can play in a rigorous academic environment.”  

Mack began his career at his alma mater after graduating, serving as the assistant director of intercollegiate programming from 2000–2004 and as an assistant women’s track and field coach from 2002–2004. He then left the University to become associate director of championships for the Big Ten conference, and later served as senior associate director of athletics for sales and marketing at Northwestern University. 

Mack returns to Princeton from Michigan, leaving his role as a commercial and class action litigation attorney at Bush Seyferth, PLLC. He is also an ordained minister.

“This is truly a dream come true — 25 years in the making,” Mack said in a press event. “I commit to our coaches, staff, students, faculty, staff, and alumni that I will work everyday to continue the proud tradition of excellence here at Princeton University and in Princeton Athletics. I could not be more excited, I could not be more honored, to be given this opportunity.”

Emily Philippides is a Head Sports Editor at the 'Prince.' She can be reached at ep17@pricneton.edu.

Tom Salotti is a Head Sports Editor at the 'Prince.' He can be reached at tsalotti@pricneton.edu.