Behrend, Tuck-Ponder, and Durbin take lead in Princeton Board of Education elections

Palmer Square

Incumbent members Michele L. Tuck-Ponder and Beth A. Behrend and newcomer Jean Y. Durbin appear to have won the Nov. 3 election for the Princeton Board of Education, though the Mercer County Board of Elections has yet to finalize the results.

With 1,242 votes between Durbin and Adam Bierman, the candidate with the fourth-most number of votes, at the time of publishing, and a lower number of outstanding ballots left to count, final tallying will not affect the outcome.

Mercer County expects to release the final unofficial tally on Nov. 20. The deadline to certify the results to the state of New Jersey is Nov. 23. Out of the eight candidates on the ballot, the three with the highest number of votes will be elected to the Board of Education for three-year terms.

Based on the results last updated on Nov. 19, Tuck-Ponder, the current board vice president, leads with 5,697 votes. Board President Behrend is in second place with 5,490 votes, and newcomer Durbin is currently third with 4,522 votes.

Outside of the top three, Bierman received 3,280 votes; Paul M. Johnson received 3,129 votes; and Karen Lemon received 2,887 votes. None of the candidates immediately responded to requests for comment.

According to Mercer County Clerk Paula Sollami Covello, the final tally will include an unknown number of cured ballots.

“The ballot cure letters are due back to the Board of Elections by November 18,” Covello wrote in an email to The Daily Princetonian. “That is the deadline for voters to cure signatures (or other missing items) that are deficient on their original ballot submissions.”

The Mercer County Board of Elections expects to certify the results ahead of the state deadline.

“We still have to count the provisional ballots, but the election will be certified by Friday,” a staffer on the Board of Elections’ phone line said.