Ted Cruz ’92: U.S. Senator (R-Texas)

Ted Cruz headshot
Sen. Ted Cruz ’92 sits for an official portrait.
Courtesy of Ted Cruz Congressional website

Ted Cruz is Texas’s junior U.S. Senator. He won the 2012 Senate race as an underdog candidate in the Republican primary. Since 2012, he has remained a firmly conservative senator, with a large national following but few allies in Congress. After a failed bid for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016, Cruz has become a staunch supporter of President Donald Trump.

Cruz sits on the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, the Committee on the Judiciary, the Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, the Committee on Rules and Administration, and the Joint Economic Committee. Last month, Cruz pushed for Supreme Court Justice Amy Coney Barrett’s successful confirmation, despite his opposition to Judge Merrick Garland’s nomination in 2016.

In 1992, Cruz graduated with an A.B. degree from the School of Public and International Affairs. In June, Cruz implicitly criticized the University’s removal of Woodrow Wilson, the School’s former namesake, by counting down the seconds until Yale would change its name, because it was “founded by slave trader Elihu Yale.” 

He went on to clerk for several United States justices, eventually becoming Texas Solicitor General before running for the Senate.

Read our previous interviews with Ted Cruz here and here.