Men’s swimming and diving finishes second at Ivy League Championships

swimm.jpg

Senior Charlie Minns was named Career High Point Diver of the meet at the Ivy League Championships.

Credits: goPrincetonTigers

Princeton men’s swimming and diving finished in second place at the four-day Ivy League Championships in Providence, R.I.

The Tigers started the competition with a night that propelled them near the top of the standings.

Princeton finished the first day tied for third with Brown with 104 points. Columbia was in second with 108 and Harvard University was in first with 120.

Two major events for the Tigers on the first day included the 800 freestyle relay and the 200 medley relay. The Tigers finished second in the 800 relay with 56 points. First-year Peyton Werner, junior Charles Leibson, sophomore Max Walther, and sophomore Raunak Khosla participated in this event and finished with a time of 6:24.08. Senior Derek Cox, senior Daniel Arris, Khosla, and Leibson finished the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:27.63, earning 48 points and coming in sixth place.

Day two was another big day for the Tigers. Khosla won the 200 individual medley for the second year in a row, and senior diver Charlie Minns set a new record in the one-meter diving event. The Tigers climbed to second place by the end of the day with 450 points. Harvard was first with 489.

Khosla earned the Tigers their first title of the championships after winning the 200 IM with a time of 1:43.01, earning the victory and breaking the facility record. Leibson finished in 1:47.72 to take sixth and Cox finished seventh in 1:48.50. Junior Levy Nathan placed third in the 500 freestyle in a time of 4:21.11, and first-year Nicholas Lim followed close behind, placing fourth in 4:21.55 seconds. In the 200 freestyle relay, the team of Cox, Khosla, Leibson, and Walther placed sixth with a time of 1:19.97 seconds.

Princeton performed very well in the one-meter diving event. Minns placed second with a score of 356.50, a new school record. Junior Colten Young finished third with an individual season-high score of 330.10 while first-year Griffin Brooks finished seventh with a score of 292.95. Brooks was the only first-year to make the A final in the one-meter dive at the meet by placing in the top eight.

The Tigers held on to their second place position at the end of the third day with 826 points.

Khosla won the 400 IM for the second year in a row, with a time of 3:41.75 seconds, setting a new school and facility record. In the 200 freestyle, Walther placed seventh in 1:36.57 seconds, with Leibson close behind at eighth in 1:37.61.

Cox came out on top in the 100 breaststroke, finishing in a time of 53.73 seconds. Junior Corey Lau finished third in 53.87 seconds. Cox, Lau, Lim, and Walther finished sixth in the 400 medley relay with a time of 3:14.59.

The Tigers had several high-place finishers in the 1,000 freestyle. First-year Dylan Porges grabbed second place in 8:57.68 while places seven through nine were claimed by Nathan (9:03.94), sophomore Brendan Firlie (9:05.40), and first-year John Ehling (9:05.42) respectively.

As a team, Princeton ended the meet on the final day in second place with 1,231 points, while Harvard University finished in first with 1,439.

Highlights from the fourth day include Porges winning the 1,650 freestyle, clocking in 15:07.07; Ehling finishing fifth with a time of 15:14.95; and Nathan finishing sixth in a time of 15:16.09. Cox finished first in the 200 breaststroke, touching the wall in 1:55.70, while Lau finished fifth in 1:58.56. In the 200 butterfly, Khosla took another individual title with a time of 1:42.43. The Tigers finished fourth in the 400 freestyle relay after Walther, Khosla, Leibson, and Cox secured a time of 2:57.40. Khosla was honored as High Point Swimmer of the meet.

Young finished second in the three-meter diving competition with a score of 366.80 and Minns finished third with a score of 358.90. Minns was named Career High Point Diver.