Women’s swim and dive emerge on top; men’s swim and dive defeat Yale, bested by Harvard

Regan_Barney.jpg

Junior Regan Barney competing in the Columbia meet.

Photo Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com

The men’s swimming and diving team defeated Yale but came up short against Harvard at the HYP Championships, held at DeNunzio Pool on the night of Friday, Jan. 31, and Saturday, Feb. 1. Meanwhile, the women’s team prevailed over both the Bulldogs and the Crimson, emerging from the electric two-day meet as undeniable victors.

The first day of the meet saw five first-place finishes for men’s swimming and diving: junior Charles Leibson dominated the 200-yard freestyle at 1:36.87; senior Derek Cox finished the 100-yard breaststroke in 53.03 seconds, an NCAA B cut; sophomore Raunak Khosla came first in the 200-yard butterfly at 1:42.81 and the 200-yard individual medley at 1:45.66, both NCAA B cuts; while junior Colten Young came in first on the one-meter board with a winning score of 362.10.

At the end of the first day, the Tigers stood 106–80 to Yale and were tied with Harvard at 93 points.

On the second day, Khosla continued his impressive performance, emerging victorious in the 400-yard IM with a time of 3:46.59 and the 200-yard breaststroke at 1:56.00, the third-fastest time in program history. Second-place finishes included the 200-yard medley relay that saw Cox, Leibson, senior Daniel Arris, and first-year Nicholas Lim finish in 1:28.00, as well as senior Roman Horoszewski’s 500-yard freestyle finish of 4:24.96 seconds.

On the one-meter board, senior Charlie Minns and Young both achieved NCAA Zone qualifying scores of 318.70 and 317.25, respectively. At the end of the meet, Princeton held a 182–171 win over Yale and lost to Harvard 192–161.

Women’s swimming and diving saw a slightly more successful run, while also setting two new school records on the first day: senior Christie Chong’s 100-yard breaststroke finish at 1:00.60 topped the previous record of 1:01.38 set by Andrea Kropp in 2011, while the 200-yard medley relay team, comprised of Chong, senior Gianna Garcia, first-year Jennifer Secrest, and first-year Nicole Venema, finished at 1:39.21, topping the the previous record of 1:39.29 set in 2018.

Other significant highlights included first-year Ellie Marquardt’s first-place finish in the 1000-yard freestyle at 9:44.05; first-year Addison Smith’s 200-yard freestyle victory with a time of 1:46.97, an NCAA B cut; and first-year Christina Bradley clocking in the third-fastest time for the 200-yard butterfly in Princeton history at 1:57.81. 

Venema also won the 50-yard freestyle in a speedy 22.38 seconds, while first-year Amelia Liu finished second at 22.61 seconds, also an NCAA B cut.

The second day saw Venema come first in the 100-yard freestyle with the second-fastest time in Princeton history, 48.61 seconds. Marquardt won the 200-yard IM at 2:00.23, while the 400-yard freestyle relay team of Venema, Liu, Bradley, and first-year Sarah Grinalds finished in 3:18.16 to come first. 

A particularly notable event was the 200-yard breaststroke, in which three Tigers finished in the top five: senior Janet Zhao finished second at 2:13.05, Chong finished third at 2:13.53, and senior Shaelyn Choi finished fourth at 2:14.12. All three times were NCAA B cuts.

Junior Sophia Peifer finished second on the one-meter board by scoring 284.25, and junior Sine Scribbick came fourth with 279.70.

The Tigers defeated Harvard 213–87 and Yale 194–106.

Men’s swimming and diving will take on Columbia University on Saturday, Feb. 8 at DeNunzio Pool in their final regular season meet. Women’s swimming and diving will compete at the Ivy League Championships in Providence, R.I. from Wednesday, Feb. 19 to Saturday, Feb. 22.