Men’s track and field sweeps HYP meet for 28th consecutive year

Sam_Ellis.jpg

Junior Sam Ellis.

Photo Courtesy of Beverly Schaefer / GoPrincetonTigers.com

At the Harvard-Yale-Princeton (HYP) meet held at Yale over the weekend, which the Tigers have won for the past 27 consecutive seasons, the men’s track and field team saw stellar performances from many members of the team. The Tigers came out on top with a total of 89 points from a number of events, outscoring Yale’s 63 and Harvard’s 28.

In the pole vault, first-year Simen Guttormsen had an outstanding day as he posted an Ivy-League leading mark and a 5.31m PR. Guttormsen said, “HYP was a great meet for me. I am very happy with my own performance, and a great team clapping and support made it fun to compete. Now I am really excited for the coming weeks and especially to take on other Ivy teams.”

In the shot put, sophomore C.J. Licata and junior Kelton Chastulik claimed the first and second spots, with marks of 17.95m and 17.20m, respectively. In the triple jump, sophomores Dayo Abeeb and Austin Princewill finished first and second, with performances of 15.48m and 15.18m.

On the track, first-year Connor Nisbet and sophomore Jakob Kintzele had strong performances as they claimed the top two spots in the 3K, with times of 8:13.54 and 8:14.17, respectively.

In the 1000m, junior Sam Ellis ran his way to the top of the Ivy League rankings as he chased the school record. Despite falling just shy of it, he placed first overall, with a time of 2:22.26.

Reflecting on the team’s and his own performance, Ellis said, “I was happy with the team win and glad we had so many PRs, and I think we’re in a good place for moving forward. Personally, I was trying to run our school record, so I was slightly disappointed that I fell short of that, but I’m feeling very confident going into my mile race in Boston this weekend.”

Looking forward, Ellis’ ultimate goal is to “perform at Heps (Heptagonal Championships) and contribute to the team’s win.”

There were also several first-place finishes and impressive marks posted in the shorter distances. Sophomore Christian Brown won the 60m hurdles in a time of 8.04 seconds, with Princeton also claiming spots 4–7 in the event. Shortly after, sophomore Michael Phillippy grabbed the gold in a personal record of 48.15 seconds across 400m, out-leaning the second-place finisher from Yale by a mere 0.02 seconds.

Head men’s track and field coach Fred Samara was “very proud of the competitive effort” as the team “march[es] towards their sixth league title in a row.” Next up on the schedule, the Princeton Tigers will head to Boston University to compete at the Valentine Invitational on Feb. 15.