Mazin ’92 awarded Golden Globe Award for Chernobyl miniseries

Golden_Globes.jpeg

The Golden Globe awards were held on Jan. 5.

Photo Credit: jdeeringdavis / Flickr

Craig Mazin ’92 was honored with a Golden Globe Award on Sunday evening as creator, writer, and executive producer of “Chernobyl,” the 2019 miniseries produced by HBO in association with Sky UK.

“Chernobyl” was nominated for four awards and won two. In addition to winning “best television limited series or motion picture made for television,” the miniseries’ actor Stellan Skarsgård was awarded “best performance by an actor in a supporting role in a series, limited series or motion picture made for television.”

Originally instituted in 1944, the Golden Globes are awarded by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to recognize distinguished achievements in the film industry. Tonight, Golden Globes are awarded in 25 categories, 14 for motion pictures and 11 for television.

"Chernobyl is an international story filmed by an international crew with an international cast, so it was very meaningful to receive this award from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association,“ Mazin wrote in a statement to The Daily Princetonian. “We hope the show continues to be seen and continues to challenge people to seek and value the truth."

Originally premiering in May 2019, the miniseries dramatizes the events surrounding the 1986 nuclear disaster in which the nuclear reactor at Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in the north of the Ukrainian SSR exploded. It is largely based on the recollections of locals affected by the incident as gathered in the book “Voices from Chernobyl” by Svetlana Alexievich, a Belarusian Nobel laureate .

According to HBO’s website, in writing the miniseries, Mazin also consulted a wide variety of books, government reports from the Soviet Union, primary source accounts of the disaster, and his own interviews with nuclear scientists and Soviet citizens.

About “Chernobyl” and the events it depicts, Mazin has tweeted, “The lesson of Chernobyl isn’t that modern nuclear power is dangerous. The lesson is that lying, arrogance and suppression of criticism is dangerous.” 

“Chernobyl” cast members Jared Harris and Emily Watson were nominated for “best performance by an actor in a limited series or a motion picture made for television” and “best performance by an actress in a supporting role in a series, limited series or motion picture made for TV,” respectively.

Mazin is also known for writing “Identity Thief,” the second and third of the trilogy of “Hangover” movies, “Superhero Movie,” and “The Huntsman: Winter’s War.” He also cohosts a podcast, “Scriptnotes,” with screenwriter John August.

Mazin graduated magna cum laude from the University with a concentration in Psychology. 

As a first-year student, Mazin was roommates with Senator and former Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz ’92 and garnered attention in 2016 for publicly criticizing Cruz on Twitter. 

The 77th annual Golden Globe Awards aired on Sunday, Jan. 5, at 8 p.m. The ceremony was held at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles, C.A.