Princeton men's basketball struggles in second half, falls to Duquesne

Richmond Aririguzoh

Richmond Aririguzoh scored 19 points against Duquesne.

Photo Credit: Jack Graham / The Daily Princetonian

Princeton men’s basketball started strong in its season opener but collapsed in the second half, ultimately losing 94–67 at Duquesne. 

The Tigers got off to a quick start, as sophomore point guard Jaelin Llewellyn opened the scoring with a three-pointer, and a stretch of hot shooting and successful backdoor cuts propelled Princeton to an early 23–9 lead.

Princeton ultimately took a five-point lead into halftime, but little went right for the Tigers after that. Princeton allowed 57 points in the second half and only managed to score 25 points of their own.

Three players handled most of the scoring for Princeton. Sophomore forward Drew Friberg and senior center Richmond Aririguzoh led Princeton with 19 points, and Llewellyn added 15. Friberg entered the starting lineup after playing sparingly last season and gave Princeton’s offense a boost with his perimeter shooting, going 5-9 from three.

Junior guard Ryan Schwieger started, but he left the game early in the first half with an injury and didn’t return.

Sincere Carry led Duquesne offensively, scoring 23 to go along with five rebounds and five assists.

Princeton will head to the West Coast this weekend for a game at San Francisco before its home opener against Lafayette next Wednesday.