USG considers sustainability resolution, moving Fall Lawnparties to Monday

USG meeting

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) held its weekly meeting in Lewis Library Room 138.

Photo Credit: Bharvi Chavre / The Daily Princetonian

During their weekly meeting on Sunday, Oct. 20, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) discussed future Lawnparties, as well as a proposal to adopt sustainability as an official priority. 

Social chair Heavyn Jennings ’20 discussed how the upcoming academic calendar change affects the date of Fall Lawnparties. Lawnparties during the fall semester are traditionally held on the first weekend of classes, but will fall on Labor Day weekend for the next two years. Because Labor Day weekend is three days, Lawnparties may change from Sunday to Monday.

“The Social Committee is deciding to move Lawnparties to Monday, so [that] the weekend can end on a high note and so that people can have the opportunity to go home,” Jennings said. 

Jennings also explained that moving Lawnparties to Monday would give students the chance to finish up homework. Staffing, security, and cost are not majorly affected by this change. 

USG discussed concerns that the new Lawnparties date could create incompatibilities with schedules for undergraduate athletic teams. Jennings said she would discuss this concern with the Social Committee. 

Claire Wayner ’22, a member of the Sustainability Task Force, briefly discussed adding a resolution to the USG charter establishing sustainability as a priority. USG vice president Chitra Parikh ’21 asserted that creating such a resolution could provide a framework to integrate sustainability into the USG constitution. 

“We want to make a statement that the USG prioritizes sustainably and wants to incorporate it into its future,” Wayner said. 

During the president’s report, USG president Zarnab Virk ’20 discussed peer tutoring as a replacement for music lessons lost through budget cuts, as well as creating gear design by the end of fall break.

According to Virk, the first-year advisory project, which was mentioned at a previous meeting this month, had over 200 first-year respondents, prompting USG to reach out to juniors as advisors. This program was initially designed to pair first-year and senior students, but only around 60 seniors responded. Matches will be made during fall break. 

The meeting was open to the public and held at 8 p.m. Lewis Library Room 138.