Yield rate for Class of 2023 increases from last year

Morrison Hall 2018.jpg
Marcia Brown / The Daily Princetonian

The University’s yield — the percentage of students who accepted their offer of admission to join the University’s first-year class — rose to 70.6 percent this year, from 69 percent last year.

In March, the University announced that it had offered admission to 1,895 students from a combined regular decision and early action applicant pool of 32,804 applications.

Currently, there are 1,337 first-year students enrolled, about 50 students more than the target class size. Last year, the incoming class exceeded the target size by about 43 students.

In summer 2018, the University converted Lauritzen Hall in Whitman College, which formerly housed part of the Princeton Writing Center, into a dormitory in order to accommodate the overflow.

Of the incoming class, 51 percent identify as women and about half identify as minority students. Pell Grant recipients comprise 24.8 percent of the class, while recruited athletes make up 16.2 percent.

In an email statement to The Daily Princetonian, Deputy University Spokesperson Mike Hotchkiss said that the University is “grateful that so many high school seniors and transfer students choose to join our diverse community and experience the transformative power of a Princeton education.”

“These students will have the opportunity to graduate debt-free, pursue a wide range of careers, and impact the community and world around them,” he said through email. “Thanks to the planned expansion of the undergraduate class, we look forward to welcoming even more academically talented and dynamic students to campus in the coming years.”

Editor’s Note: A previous version of this article repeated some statistics published in The Princeton Alumni Weekly that are incorrect. Those numbers have since been updated with information from the Office of Communications. The ‘Prince’ regrets the error.