USG hosts Lawnparties on Prospect Avenue

3OH!3 performance

3OH!3 preforms in front of gathered students at Quadrangle Club.

Photo Credit: Zack Shevin / The Daily Princetonian

On a beautiful Sept. 15 with barely a cloud in the sky, Undergraduate Student Government hosted fall Lawnparties on Prospect Avenue.

Festivities started around 10 a.m., as students and visitors received their wristbands at 1897 Arch and proceeded to cool off in the Fountain of Freedom. Student groups and friends gathered for photos in front of the Woodrow Wilson School building. By 1 p.m., students had almost completely filled the area around the fountain.

Vendors such as Rita’s Italian Ice, Chabad Barbeque, and Jumbo Inflatable lined Prospect Avenue with free food, drinks, and activites for students. Meanwhile, Public Safety Officers and members of the Princeton Police Department lined the street to make sure all students remained safe throughout the day. 

At 2:30 p.m., a crowd began to gather at Quadrangle Club for the triple-headliner performance of CupcakKe, 3OH!3, and Rich Homie Quan, who had been announced as co-headliners the previous Sunday.

Also performing were Acid Dad and Kalbells at Terrace Club, DJ CTE at Cottage Club, Emily Vaughn at Tower Club, Concept at Cannon Dial Elm Club, Avante at Ivy Club, Sage the Gemini at Colonial Club, and Cedric Gervais at Tiger Inn.

It took months of preparation to organize and plan the details of the event. Coordinating this effort was USG Social Chair Heavyn Jennings ’20, who was generally satisfied by the outcome of meticulous planning.

“We had people enjoying all the food,” Jennings wrote to The Daily Princetonian in a message. “I was happy to see people were eating the fruit cups cause [sic] many people asked for healthier options in the survey last spring.”

Jennings expressed happiness that students utilized the inflatable, admitting that she “was very worried about it not being used” prior to Lawnparties.

Although Jennings noted that the main act’s turnout appeared high throughout the afternoon, she could not confirm any statistics.

“I don't know official numbers right now,” Jennings wrote.

Students spoke positively about this year’s main act, citing prompt set changes and fun artist choices.

“This was the second time out of my five Lawnparties that I actually went to go see the headliners,” Julie Kim ’21 said. “Usually I leave early because it takes a long time for the headliner to come out, but I felt like the process was more organized this year so there was very little wait time between performances.”

“Lawnparties don’t excite me as much as they did before,” Cai Markham ’21 said. “Cupcakke was a pisser though, I enjoyed that.”

Students also approved of the food options, which included tater tots, pizza, pretzels, and ice cream.

“I loved the tater tots!” Chase Lovgren ’21 said. “I wish the truck stayed around longer.”

Next semester’s Lawnparties will take place the weekend after spring semester classes end.