Princeton in the Pros: Lovett, Horsted, and Carlson stick around in the NFL, Ford makes a splash with the Yankees

Mike_Ford.jpg

Photo Courtesy of Barstool Sports 

In April, John Lovett, Jesper Horsted, and Stephen Carlson, the three leaders of Princeton football’s historically dominant 2018 offense, signed with NFL teams as undrafted free agents. Five months later, each remains involved with the NFL to some capacity.

Horsted and Carlson, both college receivers who became professional tight-ends, signed with the Chicago Bears practice squad and Cleveland Browns practice squad, respectively. Being on the practice squad allows players to practice with NFL teams, although they aren’t officially on the roster and can’t appear in games. 

Lovett spent training camp with the Kansas City Chiefs, where he was transitioning from quarterback to fullback and tight end. He suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in the first game of the NFL preseason and was placed on Injured Reserve.

Horsted entered the Bears training camp at the end of the depth chart, but he earned himself a spot on the practice squad after catching eight passes for 121 yards and two scores in the final two preseason games. 

“He did a good job of being consistent,” Bears head coach Matt Nagy told chicagobears.com. “You can see he does well with catching the football. He still has a ways to go in regard to trying to become a better blocker and learning what routes to run in the pass game. He’s very, very raw.”

Carlson caught four passes for 38 yards in the preseason with the Browns, also demonstrating enough value to the team to warrant a practice squad position.

Meanwhile, former Princeton baseball star Mike Ford ’15, who made his MLB debut for the New York Yankees in April, has continued to produce down the stretch. Ford has hit 10 home runs in 39 games for the Yankees this season, with the highlight coming on a pinch-hit walk-off homer against Oakland on Sept. 1.

“I don’t think it set in yet, but I definitely dreamed about it in the past, so it was just an awesome dream,” Ford said to reporters following that game.