New residential college to be named Perelman College

New res college schematic
Schematic of potential new residential college location, sourced from the Princeton University Campus Plan 2026 http://en.calameo.com/read/0008049750f1d739b8d74?page=67

In a statement Wednesday, the University announced that the seventh residential college on campus will be named Perelman College in honor of the Perelman family.

Perelman College will be located south of Poe Field and east of Elm Drive. 

The Perelman Family Foundation has made the lead gift in the establishment of the new residential college, which is part of the University’s plan to expand the undergraduate student body by 125 students per class.

“The campus expansion plan, of which this is an important facet, notes a second college [beyond Perelman College] would also allow the University to move toward a system in which all residential colleges are able to offer spaces to interested juniors and seniors,” University spokesperson Ben Chang said.

According to the statement, the expansion will “allow Princeton to admit more talented students who will realize the benefits of a Princeton education” and “enhance the diversity and vitality” of the University community.

“People of all backgrounds and communities deserve access to the extraordinary education and training offered by Princeton and all the wonderful opportunities afforded its graduates,” said Ronald O. Perelman, who has previously made a gift to the University to create the Ronald O. Perelman Institute for Judaic Studies, in the statement.

“The creation of Perelman College will help fulfill Princeton’s mission to create a more culturally and economically diverse community,” Debra G. Perelman ’96 added in the statement.

Architecture firm Deborah Berke Partners has been chosen to design Perelman College.

“[Expansion] is an inevitability, but it doesn’t mean it will be easy [for students] to adjust … being smaller is what a lot of people find attractive about Princeton,” said Ben Herber ’22 in response to the addition of the new residential college. 

This story is breaking and will be updated with additional information as it becomes available.