Men’s soccer comes from behind to draw Dartmouth in Ivy opener

MenSocDart
Kevin O'Toole notched a goal and an assist in Saturday's draw against Dartmouth

Men’s soccer tied Dartmouth 2–2 after two overtime periods Saturday at home in its first game of the Ivy League season. The team is fresh off a 4–4 preseason with wins against University of Delaware, Temple University, Boston University, and Rider University, and losses against Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, Bradley University, Monmouth University, and Loyola University Maryland.

The game against the Big Green, taking place at the Class of 1952 Stadium instead of the team’s usual Roberts Stadium, drew an attendance of more than 700 people.

Dartmouth got on the board first, with midfielder Dawson McCartney scoring off a headed ball in the 19th minute. Then, in the 34th minute, Dartmouth defender Matt Pickering converted on a set piece, bringing the score to 2–0.

Less than a minute later, however, Dartmouth keeper Henry Stusnick was shown a red card for an illegal tackle on Princeton senior defender Sean McSherry. Dartmouth played the remaining 75 minutes with 10 men, and Princeton took advantage of its numerical advantage.

In the 39th minute, only a few moments after coming on, Princeton junior forward Sean McGowan capitalized on a header from sophomore defender Kevin O’Toole, hitting top right corner to score the Tigers’ first goal of the 2018 Ivy League season.

Right before the half, O’Toole took advantage of a lob from senior midfielder Bryan Prudil, hitting net and bringing the game to a tie.

Princeton finished the half with eight shots, one save, and six fouls. Dartmouth finished with eight shots as well, four saves (two by relief keeper Christopher Palacios), one corner kick, and 11 fouls.

The Tigers dominated play in the second half, with attempts on goal by freshman midfielder Moulay Hamza Kanzi Belghiti and sophomore forward Gaby Paniagua. They outshot Dartmouth 10–2. The Tigers had two corners in the second half while Dartmouth had one.

Overtime saw eight shots from Princeton and seven from Dartmouth. Junior keeper Jacob Schachner had four saves versus Palacios’s one in extra time.

In the 107th minute, Princeton junior forward Cole Morokhovich hit right post, bringing the Tigers within inches of victory. Despite efforts from both sides, neither could break the tie in the overtime periods.

The game was physical with over 35 fouls in total, with 14 from Princeton and 23 from Dartmouth. Princeton received five yellow cards and Dartmouth, three (and a red card).

This is the second year in a row that the Tiger-Big Green match has gone into two extra periods, although last year Dartmouth won on a last-minute goal.

Princeton takes on Brown University at home this coming weekend, their first conference game this season played in Roberts Stadium. The Tigers lost to Brown 0–1 last year in Providence. The following weekend the team will head to Columbia University in New York.