Abdillahi ’20 died after being struck by train in Texas

Yasmin Ahmed Abdillahi ’20
Courtesy of gofundme.

On Friday, June 8, Yasmin Ahmed Abdillahi ’20 was struck and killed by a train in Euless, Texas, between Fort Worth and Dallas.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported that the incident occurred at approximately 8:40 p.m. The Star-Telegram quotes police as saying that Abdillahi walked in front of the train. Her death is still under investigation by local Texas authorities. 

A GoFundMe page created in Abdillahi’s memory described her as a “vibrant, intelligent, ambitious, strong young woman” who was “unparalleled in her strive for academia, social justice, and bettering the world around her.” 

According to a University statement, Abdillahi grew up in Roseville, Minn. and graduated from Harding Senior High School in St. Paul, Minn. She is survived by her parents, sister, and three brothers. 

A gathering of remembrance was held at Murray-Dodge Hall at 6:30 p.m. on June 11, and a memorial service will take place when students return to campus in the fall.

Editor’s Note: If you need to talk to someone, please refer to:

• Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS): Call (609) 258-3141; for emergencies: (609) 258-3333. An on-call counselor is available every day after hours.)
  • CONTACT of Mercer County: Call (609) 896-2120 or (609) 585-2244.
  • Princeton Peer Nightline: Call (609) 258-0279; visit http://princetonpeernightline.com, open Tuesdays and Fridays 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
  • Suicide Prevention Lifeline: Call 1 (800) 273-8255.