NJ schools face safety threats after Parkland shooting

The Princeton Public School district will be making several changes to their safety practices and protocols in response to an incident in which a former student entered Princeton High School and walked around the building. The incident occurred on Feb. 15, one day after the shooting by a former student at a high school in Parkland, Fla., that resulted in the death of 17 people.

According to Planet Princeton, on Thursday, Feb. 15, a student at Princeton High School told administrators that a stranger had entered the school. The man, an alumnus of the high school, was not permitted to be inside the building.

The new protocol changes include placing security personnel at entrances and locking the doors of Princeton High School during the school day. Superintendent of Schools Steve Cochrane said that supplemental security recommendations include additional cameras, improved PA systems, and changes to internal procedure in the case of an intruder, according to Planet Princeton.

An article in Planet Princeton states that several police departments throughout New Jersey increased their focus on local schools in response to potential threats in the previous week. In Mahwah, N.J., rumors that a middle school student had threatened in October to “shoot up” the school on Feb. 23 led Superintendent C. Lauren Schoen to email parents promising heavy police presence at the Ramapo Ridge Middle School next week.

According to Planet Princeton, additional threats in the past week included the arrest of a Matawan-Aberdeen Regional School district student who had been charged with making online terroristic threats on Saturday, Feb. 17, and a lockdown procedure at a middle school in Parsippany after a bullet was found in a hallway. In Nutley, N.J., schools were closed on Friday, Feb. 16, because of a suspicious video posted on Instagram. An East Brunswick High School student was arrested on Friday, Feb. 16, also for making online terroristic threats and in Somerset County a student was taken into custody after making a threat against his school on social media.