Tiger's blowout win over Cornell encouraging sign for Ivy League hopes

TigersVCornellJan13.jpg

In a spectacular blowout of a first half, the Tigers roared up to the basket at Jadwin Gymnasium. By halftime, the team held a 34 point lead over Ivy League No. 5 Cornell.

The Big Red struggled to keep Princeton at bay throughout the first half; Princeton's lead at the half was the largest it has ever had over a Division I opponent during the years Head Coach Mitch Henderson has led the Tigers. 

The Orange and Black followed up the 53 points racked up the points in the first half, with a strong 31 additional points scored in the second half. 

Junior guard Devin Canaday drained three of the seven Tiger three-pointers during the first and second quarters, and Canaday landed a full 17 points by the end of the first half, leading the roster in points. In total, 16 Tigers hit the court, and 12 of them scored.

By the second half, many players left the Tigers’ bench for the court, but had little effect on the difference as the Tigers kept the heat on until the clock ran out. With one minute left, the Tigers led 89 to 54. The final score? 91-54. 

The win brings the Tigers’ at-home win tally to 4-2. Overall, Princeton is 9-8 this season, and the team will next compete at home on Jan. 28 versus the Rowan University Profs.