A Student Review of The Bent Spoon

Carolyne1.png

The Bent Spoon, situated at the heart of Palmer Square, is a hot spot for Princeton natives and tourists alike. This quirky ice cream joint offers an array of obscure flavors and other yummy desserts that will surely satisfy your sweet cravings. But be sure to weigh these pros and cons to decide if The Bent Spoon should be your go-to ice cream destination.

Pros

Flavors

While the Bent Spoon offers traditional ice cream flavors such as chocolate or vanilla, the more adventurous souls may choose to indulge in obscure flavors such as sweet corn, earl grey, or basil. My personal favorites to date are blueberry mascarpone, pistachio ricotta, and a fall classic: pumpkin.

Vibe

The inside of the shop is cute and full of bright colors. Signs that display the periodically-changing ice cream flavors are displayed in fun handwriting.

Local

The Bent Spoon prides itself on its use of local and organic ingredients to produce small batch ice cream and sorbet.

Baked Goods

The cookies and mini cupcakes are good alternatives to ice cream. I really enjoyed the oatmeal raisin cookie.

Sorbet

For a refreshing non-dairy option, try any one of a number of unique sorbet options.

Punch Card

Students and Princeton residents who frequent The Bent Spoon may find the punch card to be a nice perk. After 10 punches, you’ll be rewarded with a free cupcake, a small ice cream, or a beverage.

Banana-whip

Banana-whip (a.k.a. “B-whip”) is a simple, delicious, and healthy creation - nothing but blended frozen bananas. While the dessert is good in itself, I suggest topping it off with hot fudge and cocoa nibs. Other topping options include whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream.

Cons

Cash-only

You may find the cash-only policy to be a hassle.

Cramped layout

One big table takes up most of the space in the shop, leaving the store feeling cramped and crowded. There’s also a bench by the window to sit on, but your best bet is to take your ice cream to go.

Lines

It is not uncommon to have to wait in a line overflowing outside of the shop, but take it as a testament to The Bent Spoon’s quality and popularity.

Price

The Bent Spoon is a bit pricey. A small (two small scoops), for example, will cost you $4.35.

Availability

The Bent Spoon frequently seems to be out of bananas, which is a bummer if you go solely to get a Banana-whip.