News and Notes: U. and Rutgers Collaborate to Create Computational Cognitive Neuropsychiatry Center

The University’s new Rutgers-Princeton Center for Computational Cognitive Neuropsychiatry will use computational modeling to understand psychiatric diseases, according to a University press release. Opening later in February, the center “aims to improve the diagnosis of mental disorders, better predict their progression and eventually aid in developing treatments.”

In addition to Princeton and Rutgers, the Max Planck UCL Centre for Computational Psychiatry and Ageing Research will collaborate. The Centre studies “the causes of psychiatric disorders as well as the causes of individual differences in cognitive development, with an emphasis on adulthood and old age,” according to its website.

The center will allow for computational neuroscientists and clinical researchers to collaborate to “address disorders ranging from depression, anxiety and schizophrenia to obsessive-compulsive disorder and substance abuse,” according the University’s release.

In the last decade, a focus has developed on how to use computational models to more efficiently understand and test hypotheses. These methods use a computer to test how areas of the brain communicate and discover how it affects behavior.

The Center will be located at Rutgers University Behavioral Health Care in Piscataway, NJ and will have the capacity to bring in patients and conduct testing. The University and Rutgers are matching funds to support the Center, according to the press release.