Field Hockey off to winning start under new leadership

Two weekends into the 2016 season, Princeton women’s field hockey (3-1 overall) has stuck to its winning ways despite off-season coaching and roster shifts.

This past summer, the Tigers not only graduated a stellar senior class but also hired a new coach in Carla Tagliente. The former University of Massachusetts head coach succeeds 2012 NFHCA National Coach of the Year Kristen Holmes-Winn who led the Tigers to 11 consecutive Ivy League titles. Assuming leadership of one of the country’s top field hockey teams, Tagliente and senior captain Cat Caro are tasked with guiding a young, talented roster.

Four games into the season, the Tigers have proven resilient and skillful, receiving contributions from both veterans and underclassmen. Starting with the season opener against the University of North Carolina (5-1), Princeton competed against one of the nation’s power houses despite sitting out two of its top players: Caro and sophomore striker Sophia Tornetta.

Though the Tar Heels handed Princeton its lone loss of the season thus far, Tagliente remained optimistic following the game, commending the players’ “great leadership and collective effort.” Specifically, the head coach highlighted the Orange and Black’s impeccable defense.

The season-opening loss presented a mental challenge for the young Tigers: would they be able to rebound from the loss and defeat Bucknell? Five Orange and Black goals later, coach Tagliente could not help but praise the team’s ability to put aside setbacks, learn and regroup, a core theme of the season.

Moving onto this past weekend, Princeton added to its win tally by defeating both the University of Albany (3-3) and the University of Delaware (4-2). Beginning with the former match, Tornetta scored the first half’s lone goal 20 minutes into the game. However, the Great Danes netted two quick goals in the second half, placing the Tigers in a rare deficit. In response, Tornetta scored yet another goal and assisted one to junior striker Lexi Quirk, restoring and solidifying the Orange and Black lead.

This past Sunday, No. 10 Princeton faced a taller task in taking down No. 12 Delaware. Though not as dominant as the Tar Heels, Delaware offered Princeton an opportunity to improve its national rank. The Blue Hens demonstrated a strong defense, but Princeton’s 12 shots on goal proved too much for Delaware. Stepping up for the Tigers on Sunday, junior striker Ryan McCarthy led Princeton with two goals while Caro and Tornetta each contributed one. In addition, freshman midfielder Krista Hoffman scored her second career goal on Sunday. Hoffman’s early contributions this season further attest to the team’s young, uprising recruits.

Looking forward, the Tiger’s resilience will be put to the real test over the course of the next three games. First, Princeton will face the historically successful University of Virginia this Friday before tackling No. 7 Maryland on Tuesday. Thereafter, Princeton will play its first Ivy Game next Saturday, hosting Dartmouth at Bedford Field.