Olympics Day 3 Roundup: field hockey surprises while rowing falters

Six Princeton Olympians competed in rowing and field hockey on Day 3 of the Games.

American rower Kate Bertko ’06 failed to advance during the women’s lightweight double sculls event after placing third in her heat with a timing of 7:07.37. China and Denmark, which advanced to the semifinals from Bertko’s heats, posted timings of 7:00.13 and 7:01.84 respectively. Bertko will now row in the repechageon Tuesday, from which the top teams will join the winners of the heats in the women’s lightweight double sculls semifinals.

Canadian rower Lauren Wilkinson ’11 also faced disappointment as her coxed eight boat finished third in Heat 2 with a timing of 6:12.44, just seconds behind first place Great Britain’s 6:09.52. In the overall standings after the heats, Canada stands fifth of seven boats. Canada will now row in the repechage at8:50 a.m. ESTon Wednesday, where all but one of New Zealand, Netherlands, Romania, Australia and Canada will advance to the finals.

USA’s coxed men boat, which included Glenn Ochal ’08, also did not advance to the finals after placing second in Heat 2 with a time of 5:40.16, seconds behind first place winner Germany’s 5:38.22. In the overall standings after the heats, USA stands in fourth place and is ready to take on Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland and Italy in a repechage to the final at 9:00 a.m. ESTon Wednesday.

In her 150thappearance for the US National Field Hockey team, Julia Reinprecht ’14, Katie Reinprecht ’13 and Kathleen Sharkey ’13 enjoyed a 2-1 win over World No. 3 Australia. This win, which added 3 points to USA’s existing 3 points, keeps the team tied for the top spot in Pool B with Great Britain. The three Princetonians and their team will take on Japan in their next match at 4:00 p.m. ETon Wednesday.

On Day 4 of the Games, five events will involve Princeton Olympians – American rower Gevvie Stone ’07 will row in the women’s single sculls quarterfinals at8:20 a.m. EST; Tyler Nase ’13 and Robin Prendes ’11 will row in USA’s men’s coxless four boat in the semifinals at10:00 a.m. EST; Bertko will row in the lightweight double sculls repechage at10:20 a.m. EST; Asheligh Johnson '17 will goal keep for Team USA against Spain in women’s water polo at10:40 a.m.and Diana Matheson ’08 will play on Team Canada against Germany in women's soccer at3:00 p.m. EST.