Women's lacrosse faces Harvard in tough matchup

The last time the Princeton women’s lacrosse team (4-2 overall, 1-0 Ivy League) battled against the Harvard Crimson was last year’s semifinal game, which preceded the Tigers’ victory in the Ivy League Championship. While the first half of last year’s game was certainly exciting, with a 4-4 score at halftime, the Tigers’ offense exploded in the second half with a nine-goal run and two more goals to make the final score 15-8. The Orange and Black’s 15 goals were an Ivy League Tournament record, which is exactly the type of success the team hopes to achieve again this weekend.

Ranked No. 11 in the NCAA — the best of any Ivy League Team — the Princeton women’s lacrosse team has had a very successful season thus far. The Tigers began this spring with four straight wins against some tough teams including No. 5 University of Virginia, but recently fell to No. 6 University of Notre Dame, 16-11, and No. 8 Pennsylvania State University, 14-10, in their past two performances.

Princeton’s success this season has been an incredible team effort, but three players to keep a special eye on are senior and junior midfielders Liz Bannantine and Olivia Hompe and junior goalie Ellie DeGarmo. These three players were all recently added to the 2016 Tewaaraton Trophy Watch List, which includes the top 50 players in the nation. Both Hompe and DeGarmo have already been named Ivy League Players of the Week this season. DeGarmo is ranked fifth nationally with a save percentage of .500 and boasts a total of 57 saves. Hompe has tallied 22 of Princeton's 72 goals this season and leads the Tigers with 28 points overall.

Midway through the season, the Crimson has already experienced its own fair share of success. The team’s strongest facet has been its offense, which averages a league best of 12.86 goals per game. Marisa Romeo leads the team’s strong offense with a total of 22 points this season, followed by Julia Glynn and Maeve McMahon. With one more game under its belt than the Tigers, the Crimson’s record this season is 4-2 overall and 1-0 in the Ivy League. Its only losses have come against high-ranking teams, Stanford and Syracuse University.

Starting time for this Saturday’s game is 12 p.m. at Harvard Stadium in Cambridge, Mass. Princeton currently leads the series between the Tigers and the Crimson 28-18, and has been victorious the past four match-ups. The rivalry game will be shown live on NESNplus and the Ivy League Digital Network.