News& Notes: Cruz '92 fires spokesperson over video controversy

Texas Senator Ted Cruz ’92 asked his communications director Rick Tyler to resign Monday after Tyler allegedly distributed a video on Facebook which falsely depicted Florida Senator Marco Rubio being dismissive of the Bible, according to an article from CNN.

The controversy surfaced after The Daily Pennsylvanian, the student newspaper of the University of Pennsylvania, uploaded a video of Rubio in which he said, “Got a good book there,” speaking to a staff member on Cruz’s campaign who was reading a book outside a hotel in South Carolina.

At this point, the audio in the video becomes hard to understand, according to The Daily Pennsylvanian. After the original reporter and multiple editors listened to the recording, the reporter transcribed the segment with subtitles, with the full line ultimately stating, “Got a good book there, not many answers in it.”

According to a later update of the initial article containing the video, the staffer had been reading the Bible. Six hours later, Cruz Communications Director Rick Tyler tweeted a post which linked the video.

“Watch Marco Rubio’s awkward remark about the book a Cruz staffer was reading in the hotel lobby. What book was it?” Tyler’s post read.

According to Yahoo News, following strong responses, Cruz investigated the situation on Monday morning and subsequently asked for Tyler’s resignation. Tyler posted a note of apology yesterday.

“We are not a campaign that is going to question the faith of another candidate. Even if [the story] was true, our campaign should not have sent it,” Cruz said to Yahoo News.

According to Yahoo News, during the exchange, Rubio had actually said, “Got a good book there. All the answers are in there.”