N. J. Gov. Christie endorses Trump for president

New Jersey Governor and ex officio University trustee Chris Christie endorsed Republican businessman Donald Trump’s presidential campaign last Friday, Feb. 26.

"I can guarantee you that the one person that Hillary and Bill Clinton do not want to see on that stage, come next September, is Donald Trump. They know how to run the standard political playbook... They do not know the playbook with Donald Trump because he is rewriting the playbook," Christie said duringa press conference.

He added that he will support the Trump presidential campaign between now and November.

"He is a good friend, he is a strong and resolute leader and he is someone who is going to lead the Republican Party to victory in November over Hillary Clinton, which is the single most important thing we can do," he said.

Christie’s office did not respond to requests for comment.

University Media Relations Specialist Min Pullan noted that Christie’s endorsement "has no bearing on the University."

Meg Whitman ’77, Hewlett Packard Enterprise CEO and former national finance co-chair for Christie’s presidential campaign, publically denounced this endorsement on Sunday, according to a statement obtained byNBC’s "Meet the Press."

"Donald Trump is unfit to be President. He is a dishonest demagogue who plays to our worst fears. Trump would take America on a dangerous journey. Christie knows all that and indicated as much many times publicly," she said in the statement sent to NBC News.

She added she will not support Christie in this political decision and called on his donors and other supporters to reject both Christie and Trump.

"For some of us, principle and country still matter," she said in the statement.

Mitch Zak, media representative for Whitman and a former advisor and spokesperson for Whitman’s 2010 gubernatorial campaign, declined to comment.

Wilson School lecturer Stanley Katz said that he was surprised by the endorsement. Katz added that it is difficult currently to predict the long-term implications of this endorsement, as Christie is not particularly popular among Republican voters.

"While Christie is certainly not what I would describe as a Republican establishment, he is an established figure... Trump is sadly lacking in anything resembling the mainstream, and Christie is as close to resembling the mainstream as [Trump] got, so I suppose that’s going to be a plus for him," Katz said.

Katz said that Christie is acting appropriately in his political capacities, and he wouldn’t rule out the possibility of an endorsement for Trump as a hopeful means of getting consideration as a vice presidential candidate under his campaign.

"Whatever [Christie's motivation] is, it’s an attempt to keep himself in the public eye and to keep himself viable as a political figure. Because, otherwise, he just fades away," Katz said.

Katz noted that Christie’s time as New Jersey governor is almost over and he won't be allowed to run for another consecutive term, leaving room for at least four years before Christie will be able to return to the political spotlight.

"[Christie] has had a terribly unsuccessful career as Governor of New Jersey. He didn’t do well in the primaries. This is the only thing he can do to keep himself alive," Katz added.