CPUC discusses Wilson School name change

In a Council of the Princeton University Community meeting Monday, University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 noted ongoing discussions about a potential name change for the Wilson School and spoke about ongoing efforts to support graduate students.

Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees Brent Henry ’69 noted that the Wilson Legacy Review Committee received over 554 comments on itswebsiteas of Feb. 11. The Committee is composed of 10 members of the Board of Trustees, including Angela Groves ’12 and Henry, both of whom were present at the meeting.

The website features five questions which ask readers to submit views on Woodrow Wilson as president, Wilson’s legacy and how the University should recognize public figures, Henry added. He explained that the Board of Trustees seeks to take into perspective the long-term effects of any of its actions.

Groves noted that the trustees are a diverse group, which will be beneficial when taking a critical look at the situation. The committee is focused on the impact of a potential name change for the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs and Wilson Residential College on a variety of individuals, from current students to alumni.

Henry added that while it is important to recognize a public figure’s contributions, it is also important to balance that with other aspects of his or her life. He noted that decision of this nature are not just binary.

Carolyn Rouse, professor of anthropology, said it is important to make changes on a pedagogical level by opening up classroom discussions to include these topics.

“At the end of the day it’s what is in the classroom that matters, not so much what is on the building,” she noted.

She added that many buildings are named for powerful individuals who may not have committed perfect deeds. However, Rouse noted that it is important to entertain the idea of a name change or alteration in consideration of those who are truly upset by the use of Wilson’s name.

Vice President for Campus Life W. Rochelle Calhoun noted that the issue at hand does not simply refer to Woodrow Wilson’s name itself, but the absence of diverse representation.

“That absence is broadened to sharp focus for us as we discuss Wilson,” she said.

Among other suggestions, several students noted that it is important to inform students about the underlying story of the University. Other audience members suggested that the building be stripped of its name but not renamed.

Although individuals will be unable to see which decisions are being considered with regards to the name change, Henry said the Committee will make recommendations to the Board of Trustees and from there the Board will make the final decision on the appropriate course of action.

The Strategic Planning Framework was approved by the Board of Trustees on Jan. 30, 2016, and was intended to be a flexible document, according to Eisgruber. He added that it reaffirms Princeton’s core values as a liberal arts research university, recognizes responsibility for leadership and responds to technology’s impact on society.

Eisgruber noted that graduate students are critical to the University’s research strength. However, he added that any adjustments made to the graduate student body are dependent upon each department’s needs.

He said the decision to expand the undergraduate student body by 125 students does not necessarily mean that the graduate student and faculty population will increase as a result. He said that it increases incrementally over time, so expanding undergraduate admissions would bring the system back into balance.

Although the wellbeing of graduate students is a primary concern, Eisgruber did not specify any plans to increase graduate student housing.

Eisgruber added that efforts to increase socioeconomic diversity have already occurred during the admissions process, as the University accepted 18 percent of Pell Grant-eligible students, compared to six percent during University President Emerita Shirley Tilghman’s presidency. However, expansion would better facilitate this process.

“If you increase the degrees of freedom, it becomes easier to solve the problem,” he said.

Regarding transfer applicants, Eisgruber said that community college students and military veterans are currently unable to apply for admission to the University. He noted that the University anticipates being able to accept transfer applicants in fall 2018.

Eisgruber also stressed the importance of technology and increased support for engineering and applied sciences. From June 2014-15, there has been a 30 percent increase in the awarding of engineering degrees.

“It’s not as though technology is making residential education less important, but more important,” he said.

He argued that although the University is often glorified as Einstein’s university or an ivory tower, it is important to recognize that this is the 21st century and that the University must adapt accordingly.

“Our rivals in New Haven and Cambridge are now aggressively — desperately — realizing this importance,” he said.