Men's soccer bid farewell to seniors in 3-0 victory over Yale

Saturdayafternoon, the men’s soccer team finished out the season as the senior class led the team to a dominant 3-0 victory over Yale. The game was in honor of the nine-member senior class, and so it was fitting that the three goals of the game were all scored by seniors.

The first goal of the game was scored by senior midfielder John Kendall 20 minutes into the game after classmate and fellow midfielder Jack Hilger was tripped up in the 18-yard box. The goal was Kendall's first career goal.

It didn’t take the Tigers long to score again, as senior forward Thomas Sanner headed in a corner kick from senior midfielder Nico Hurtado, his 13th of the season and 32nd career goal. His goalon Saturdayleaves Sanner in a six-way tie for sixth-most goals in a given season in program history and with a career total high enough to push him past former teammate Cameron Porter on the program career total list, leaving him in fourth place.

Sanner also assisted on senior midfielder Andrew Doar’s goal, which came in with less than a minute left in the first half, with a pass that Doar put in for his second career goal. The assist left Sanner with 31 points this season and 79 in his career, tying him for eighth-most points in a season and third for all time points. With 15 career assists, Sanner finishes his senior season in a six-way tie for fifth most in program history. Senior midfielder Brendan McSherry follows behind Sanner for goals this season with six, and ties him for assists this season, with five.

The Tigers closed the books on the season with three consecutive shutouts, with junior Josh Haberman in goal for the first two against Drexel and Penn and senior Ben Hummel in goal in the final game against Yale. Senior Ben Hummel had 48 saves on the season, good for the third most in the Ivy League, with a save percentage of .686.

The Tigers finish a strong season with four top-10 rankings in various NCAA categories, finishing third in assists per game, fourth in shots per game, seventh in points per game and ninth in total assists. The Tigers also finished 12th in the nation in shots on goal per game and 13th in scoring offense. Sanner finished the season with six top-10 NCAA rankings of his own, finishing fourth in goals per game and points per game, sixth in total points, seventh in total goals and eighth in both game winning goals and shots per game. The Tigers (10-5-2 overall, 3-3-1 Ivy League) finished the season ranked in fifth.

As the Tigers close the books on another season, it marks the final game for seniors Ben Hummel, Jack Hilger, Brendan McSherry, Nico Hurtado, Andrew Doar, John Kendall, Thomas Sanner, Josh Miller and Bing Lin.