Solid results for women’s tennis at Navy Blue & Gold Invitational

This past weekend, three players from the women’s tennis team traveled to Annapolis, Md. for the Navy Blue and Gold Invitational. The women who traveled were sophomore Sara Goodwin, junior Caroline Joyce and freshman Amber Park. The other schools that participated in the Invitational were Delaware, George Mason, George Washington, Howard, Long Island University Brooklyn, Loyola (Maryland), Seton Hall and Stony Brook. All three girls participated in the singles draw, while Goodwin and Park played in the doubles draw. Goodwin and Park came in second place in the doubles, while Joyce and Park lost in the quarterfinals for singles and Goodwin advanced to the semifinals before being defeated.

On the first day of the invitational, the women went a combined 5-0. All three singles players and the doubles team played in the A flight of the brackets. Joyce defeated Malin Leysen of Long Island University 6-4, 6-2. Park’s match went to three sets against Howard University’s Stacey Roheman and ultimately prevailed in a third set tiebreaker 6-2, 3-6, (10-7). Goodwin rolled in her match and defeated Claudia Mackenzie of Navy 6-1, 6-1. On the doubles side, each match was only one set. Goodwin and Park defeated Sam Droop and Catalina Rico of Navy by one break, 6-4. In the quarterfinals, they won their match against the tandem of Esu Erdenebat and Olivia Lacy-Thompson of George Mason 6-1.

On Day 2 of the invitational, the Tigers did not reach the same level of success as the previous day. Joyce lost in three sets to Navy’s Amanda Keller. Joyce dropped the first set 6-2 before battling back to win the second set by a score of 6-4. She ultimately lost a close third set tiebreaker by a score of 10-7. Goodwin continued her dominance and won her quarterfinals match against Luize Strike of Seton Hall 6-2, 6-4. Park suffered a defeat at the hands of Elizabeth Tsvetkov of Stony Brook 7-5, 6-2. Goodwin went on to play Tsvetkov in the semifinals, but lost the match by a score of 6-3, 6-3. On the doubles side, Goodwin and Park went to a tiebreaker against Sara Komer and Arielle Shuren of Delaware and prevailed by a slim margin of 7-5 in the tiebreaker.

On Day 3, the lone remaining match to play for the Princeton women was the doubles final. Once again, Goodwin and Park were eliminated by Tsvetkov and her partner 6-0.

The women’s tennis team will travel to Atlanta, Ga. to compete in the Georgia Invitational in the upcoming weekend.